Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help Wanted With the Canon 300D / 350D /20D

AdrianTurner 10 350 Wales
4 Mar 2005 2:15AM

Quote: So is the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM a good quality lens?

The short the answer is yes.

But as you are looking to upgrade your kit for the purpose of shooting football matches, I would opt for investing in a faster lens, f2.8 would allow you to shoot at faster shutter speeds, perhaps enough to negate the benefits of IS.

I have used this lens on both a 10D and 20D at my sons football matches, on very bright days there is no problem but on dull days it can be too slow to grab the moment, I am also of the opinion that when IS is turned on, this lens tends to hunt more in low light conditions.

Hope this is of some help.

Adrian.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Homesdale 10 123
4 Mar 2005 2:20AM
Adrian

As i sit a far distance from the pitch, to get a 300mm lens with a f2.8, would cost a far bit of money i would of thought. Unless anyone could point me in the right direction?
cambirder 10 7.2k England
4 Mar 2005 2:34AM
Hi Geoff,

How about the 300mm f4L, it's more in line with your budget, had lighting fast AF, has IS and is one of Canons sharpest lenses. Couple it with a 1.4 converter and you also have a 420mm f5.6.

When I bought my 300D it was a choise between the 300D + high grade glass and a 10D + mediocre glass, no contest really.

Paul
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
4 Mar 2005 3:50AM
LOL!!!

Geoff, before you get carried away with L lenses etc...

I see from your photographs of games that you are taking them from the stand?

Would you be allowed to sit in the stand with a 300L lens TC and monopod etc?
Homesdale 10 123
4 Mar 2005 4:53AM
Answer to that question is NO. I have to be very careful, because i shouldn't really be using a "Professional Camera" at the game.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.