Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help will this lens fit???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SH87
    SH87  2 England
    3 Jan 2013 - 8:51 AM

I've just found and brought a old Tamron variofocus close up lens very cheaply, I believe that this is designed to fit on to a lens with a 50mm filter screw thread. I currently have a Canon 1100D with a 18mm-55mm Lens which has a filter thread of 58mm.

Have I got a hope in hell of being able to use the tamron close up lens???

images.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jan 2013 - 8:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 9:06 AM

You can buy 'step down' rings which look like an oversixed washer which has a male thread one side and female thread on the other and these are used to link two different sized threads. Step up rings are more common so make sure you do not buy one of these by mistake.
    If you use a 50mm filter on a 58mm lens thread, you risk getting serious vignetting where the image circle does not cover the whole of the sensor.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 9:22 AM

Try here

thewilliam
    3 Jan 2013 - 9:40 AM

You should measure the fitting diameter again because two very common sizes are 49mm and 52mm. I've never come across a 50mm filter thread.

mikehit
    mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 9:43 AM

Gaucho - those are step up rings to fit a larger filter (male thread) onto a smaller lens (female thread). The OP want to fit a smaller filter (50mm male thread) onto larger lens (58mm female thread).
    http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/filter_accessories/stepdown_ring/12485_p.html

The inset pictures show the difference.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 11:09 AM

Oops, sorry. However they sell both kinds on that site.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    3 Jan 2013 - 2:36 PM

Step one is still carefully hold the close up lens against the front of your 18-55, camera in manual focus and, looking through the viewfinder, closely move towards a near subject. If at some point looking through the viewfinder the image is sharp, you can get it to work Smile
    You need to find the exact size as they close-up filter thread. It might be 49mm, 52mm, 55mm or if you are lucky 58 mm. Then with the right filter adapter you can start to use it. The image quality may not be as good as with a prime lens. As it cost you very little money it should be fun to use.

saxon_image
    3 Jan 2013 - 2:56 PM

SRB-Griturn are your best bet for an adapter or step-up/step down ring. If they don't have the size they can make to order.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.