Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with avoiding vehicle buying scams

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Sep 2012 - 7:37 AM

I have been looking on Autotrader for a small motorhome / campervan and have seen a few where the price defies belief. Newish vehicles (2-3 years old) with low mileages (15-25K) that should be selling for upwards of 25,000 (not my budget) are typically on sale for around 6,500 (more like my budget).

The sellers appear to be private. Other than that I can't see any connection between them in terms of phone numbers, locations, style and wording of adverts but clearly something is going on. There can't be that many people prepared to lose 20,000 so does anyone know of a scam involving this type of advert and what is actually going on?

I should say, I haven't been in touch with any of the sellers yet. Just too worried to get embroiled in something dodgy.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ewan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Sep 2012 - 7:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    23 Sep 2012 - 8:01 AM

Quote: Just too worried to get embroiled in something dodgy.

...just hold onto that thought, and remember .....If it's too good to be true it no doubt isn't.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Ewanneil
    23 Sep 2012 - 8:04 AM

Quote: If it's too good to be true it no doubt isn't.

My guiding principle in all such matters. Smile

User_Removed
    23 Sep 2012 - 8:16 AM

http://community.ebay.co.uk/question/Trust-Safety/Buying-Campervan-Motorhome/900...

This is a link to a camping van issue on ebay so it appears to be some sort of "industry" with one respondent quoting 70 instances...if ebay have sussed them maybe its auto traders turn...stuart

Ewanneil
    23 Sep 2012 - 8:34 AM

I'm always wary of such things being possible on e-Bay because of the very nature of an on-line auction but I can't figure out how they are doing it via a classified advert.

I meant to say in my original post that I did see one ad' on Autotrader where the campervan was on sale for c.6,500 and the same vehicle was simultaneously being sold via a motorhome magazine's on-line classifieds for 29,950. If you only saw the motorhome mag's ad' you could be getting yourself involved with some really dubious characters.

puertouk
    puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Sep 2012 - 10:22 AM

Run a check on the vehicle before purchasing it. It may have be a write-off with an insurance company or stolen. Check out the registration and chassis number. You normally find the chassis number on the dashboard with newer vehicles, if not, ask the owner to show you where it is. If they don't know, be a little wary. You can pay around 5 to have an HPI check or have the AA or RAC to check the vehicle over, which I strongly recommend prior to purchasing any vehicle. You are guaranteed with either to get an in-depth report on it's condition etc. If the vehicle is genuine, you have got a great bargain. If the people selling the motorhome have no problem with these checks, you should find them genuine, if they kick up a fuss, you know they're dodgy. Also, never meet them on a roadside location with the vehicle. Always meet them at their home address and that they come out of the house. Once you have inspected the vehicle and you are happy with what you have seen, been out and had a test drive, ask them if it's OK to have the vehicle inspected by the AA or RAC.
    Stephen

Ewanneil
    23 Sep 2012 - 10:38 AM

Thanks puertouk. All good advice.

Ewan

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.