Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with B&W 10 stop filter

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JanieB43
    JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2009 - 7:26 PM

I've just aquired a ten stop filter and I'm dying to try it out but I've heard they take a bit of getting used to. Can anyone give any tips/advice on how to get the best out of them without too much hassle ?

Thanks.
    Jane

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Sep 2009 - 7:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2009 - 8:38 PM

Take a meter reading before adding the filter, then calculate what shutter speed you need after that. If you want, pm me your e-mail address and I'll send you a spreadsheet with a table of all the values from 1-10 stops for a large range of initial shutter speeds. I made it for another site member, but happy to pass on my geekiness Wink

spaceman
    spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2009 - 8:38 PM

Well, I've never used one but I would imagine the best way of using it would be to take an exposure reading without the filter and then add ten stops to it, set that exposure on the camera ( in manual exposure mode) and off you go. Example: if the reading without the filter is 1/250 f8, the correct exposure with the filter in place would be 4 seconds f8. So set that exposure on your camera using manual exposure mode.

spaceman
    3 Sep 2009 - 8:40 PM

Damn, too late again.

JanieB43
    JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2009 - 9:21 PM

Perhaps I should've mentioned that I'm after that "milky" effect with waterfalls,seascapes etc. Does the above advice still apply ? Tech stuff does tend to throw me as I am BLONDE !!!
    Jane

spaceman
    3 Sep 2009 - 10:50 PM

To achieve that effect you need a relatively long exposure - a couple of seconds will do it.

Alan_Warriner
    3 Sep 2009 - 10:59 PM

Why can you not meter with the filter in place, I can imagine composition being 'a bit in the dark' but the metering should be OK, or am I missing something

spaceman
    4 Sep 2009 - 12:37 AM

Perhaps you can. I wasn't sure if something as strong as a 10 stop filter might befuddle a TTL meter.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Sep 2009 - 12:51 AM

Meters tend to be accurate down to a certain light level, then their accuracy falls away, so the advice is often to meter before you add the filter.

For milky water then yes you want long shutter speeds, but just how long tends to be a mater of taste.

psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    4 Sep 2009 - 12:32 PM

If you have Live View on your camera and can display a real time histogram, you should be able to use Manual mode to set an appropriate aperture and then adjust the shutter speed until the histogram shows correct exposure. It works for me on my 40D up to 30 secs exposures, after this its Bulb mode and the 10 stop calculation method that has already been mentioned.

Simon

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.