Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Help with B&W 10 stop filter

JanieB43 6 47 6 England
3 Sep 2009 7:26PM
I've just aquired a ten stop filter and I'm dying to try it out but I've heard they take a bit of getting used to. Can anyone give any tips/advice on how to get the best out of them without too much hassle ?

Thanks.
Jane

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
3 Sep 2009 8:38PM
Take a meter reading before adding the filter, then calculate what shutter speed you need after that. If you want, pm me your e-mail address and I'll send you a spreadsheet with a table of all the values from 1-10 stops for a large range of initial shutter speeds. I made it for another site member, but happy to pass on my geekiness Wink
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
3 Sep 2009 8:38PM
Well, I've never used one but I would imagine the best way of using it would be to take an exposure reading without the filter and then add ten stops to it, set that exposure on the camera ( in manual exposure mode) and off you go. Example: if the reading without the filter is 1/250 f8, the correct exposure with the filter in place would be 4 seconds f8. So set that exposure on your camera using manual exposure mode.
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
3 Sep 2009 8:40PM
Damn, too late again.
JanieB43 6 47 6 England
3 Sep 2009 9:21PM
Perhaps I should've mentioned that I'm after that "milky" effect with waterfalls,seascapes etc. Does the above advice still apply ? Tech stuff does tend to throw me as I am BLONDE !!!
Jane
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
3 Sep 2009 10:50PM
To achieve that effect you need a relatively long exposure - a couple of seconds will do it.
3 Sep 2009 10:59PM
Why can you not meter with the filter in place, I can imagine composition being 'a bit in the dark' but the metering should be OK, or am I missing something
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
4 Sep 2009 12:37AM
Perhaps you can. I wasn't sure if something as strong as a 10 stop filter might befuddle a TTL meter.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2009 12:51AM
Meters tend to be accurate down to a certain light level, then their accuracy falls away, so the advice is often to meter before you add the filter.

For milky water then yes you want long shutter speeds, but just how long tends to be a mater of taste.
psiman 11 551 Wales
4 Sep 2009 12:32PM
If you have Live View on your camera and can display a real time histogram, you should be able to use Manual mode to set an appropriate aperture and then adjust the shutter speed until the histogram shows correct exposure. It works for me on my 40D up to 30 secs exposures, after this its Bulb mode and the 10 stop calculation method that has already been mentioned.

Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.