Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

help with choosing filters

cassiecat 6 39 46 England
20 Jul 2008 10:48AM
i am thinking of getting an EF24-105L (77mm thread) for my canon 5d,not sure if this will be wide angle enough as i want to be able to take photos of milky water and sunsets, i know i need filters and holder thought of getting Lee. what type would i need to get, and which holder? i would be grateful if you can point me in the right direction it seems like a foreign language.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
20 Jul 2008 11:01AM
Wide enough or not depends on your preference really. To me, maybe not, I might consider the Canon 17-40 if I want a wide angle for landscape.
For filters, you need filter holder foundation kit, wide angle adaptor ring and a set of soft ND grads.
And if you have the money, a square circular polarizer would be handy too.
bangalicious 7 1.3k 5 England
20 Jul 2008 2:21PM
Have a look at Coking. Pseries on a smaller budget. ZPro for a slightly higher budget. My P-Series havent failed me yet.

Anil.
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2008 2:38PM
A circular polariser's the most important filter for landscapes and water. After that, a small selection of ND grads is handy. In the Lee range I find the hard grads more generally useful than the soft grads but it comes down to personal style and preference to an extent.

To get started with the lee kit, you'll probably want the foundation kit and wide angle adapter as mentioned above and it's worth considering getting the adapter ring to fit a polariser in front of those.

The Cokin P kit's much cheaper to get started with if you want to experiment a bit first and see what suits you.
flyingseale 7 400 3 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2008 6:49PM

Quote:A circular polariser's the most important filter for landscapes and water. After that, a small selection of ND grads is handy

I'd vote for a set of grads ahead of a polariser if I could only have one or the other. But I do know that some well established landscape pros do not use grads at all now and blend bracketed exposures instead. In that case the polariser (especially with water and wet rocks) is indispensible.

Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.