Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

help with choosing filters

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cassiecat
    cassiecat  639 forum posts England46 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2008 - 10:48 AM

i am thinking of getting an EF24-105L (77mm thread) for my canon 5d,not sure if this will be wide angle enough as i want to be able to take photos of milky water and sunsets, i know i need filters and holder thought of getting Lee. what type would i need to get, and which holder? i would be grateful if you can point me in the right direction it seems like a foreign language.

Last Modified By cassiecat at 20 Jul 2008 - 10:48 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Jul 2008 - 10:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2008 - 11:01 AM

Wide enough or not depends on your preference really. To me, maybe not, I might consider the Canon 17-40 if I want a wide angle for landscape.
    For filters, you need filter holder foundation kit, wide angle adaptor ring and a set of soft ND grads.
    And if you have the money, a square circular polarizer would be handy too.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 20 Jul 2008 - 11:02 AM
    bangalicious
    20 Jul 2008 - 2:21 PM

Have a look at Coking. Pseries on a smaller budget. ZPro for a slightly higher budget. My P-Series havent failed me yet.

Anil.

newfocus
    newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2008 - 2:38 PM

A circular polariser's the most important filter for landscapes and water. After that, a small selection of ND grads is handy. In the Lee range I find the hard grads more generally useful than the soft grads but it comes down to personal style and preference to an extent.

To get started with the lee kit, you'll probably want the foundation kit and wide angle adapter as mentioned above and it's worth considering getting the adapter ring to fit a polariser in front of those.

The Cokin P kit's much cheaper to get started with if you want to experiment a bit first and see what suits you.

flyingseale
    20 Jul 2008 - 6:49 PM

Quote: A circular polariser's the most important filter for landscapes and water. After that, a small selection of ND grads is handy

I'd vote for a set of grads ahead of a polariser if I could only have one or the other. But I do know that some well established landscape pros do not use grads at all now and blend bracketed exposures instead. In that case the polariser (especially with water and wet rocks) is indispensible.

Mike

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.