Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with colours please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    achieverswales
    17 Feb 2013 - 10:31 AM

Not sure if anyone can help with my problem, my computer was off for over a week while the decorators were painting, now I have a problem with the colours are all washed out, I shoot in Raw and upload to Lightroom 3, most of the process is done here except for cropping and sharpening that I do in Photoshop CS 5 the file is a TIFF when uploading to CS 5 when I am finished processing I save to web as I have always done resulting in a conversion to SRGB. In Lightroom and CS 5 the colours are right but as soon as I save this is what I get see my upload on 17/02/2013, on the original the reds are deep as the yellows are, so doing things as I have always done I am getting a different result, I have tried 8 and 16 bit files with the same washed out photos and also tried save as and saved as a JPEG with the same washed out result, if any one can help I will be very grateful. I have disabled voting as the colours on this are terrible. If I reload them back in to Photoshop the colours are back to normal so something to do with the saving process I think. When I first put on the computer after the decorators the external hard drive failed as well, that is now disconnected and in the repair shop.

Regards

Trev.

Last Modified By achieverswales at 17 Feb 2013 - 10:34 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Feb 2013 - 10:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Feb 2013 - 10:59 AM

One thing immediately noticeable Trevor is that you don't appear to embed the sRGB profile, which will cause disparity between various apps because they all effectively have to 'guess' at the colour. In fact most browsers can't handle such files, so the photo won't be colour-managed (I think it's still only Firefox that can be set to assume sRGB in the absence of any profile, but it doesn't do it by default). So, that's a possible cause, although not one that's attributable to you switching off the computer. You may simply notice the symptoms more in some photos than others, depending upon their colour in relation to your monitor's gamut.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72329 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Feb 2013 - 11:03 AM

I had this problem Trev, although I can't pinpoint exactly when it started happening, but it was the 'save for web' process that made it happen.

I have now created an action, that resizes/converts to sRGB, and allows me to selectively sharpen with a seperate layer mask, which I then 'save as',
    where I change file from tiff to jpg, and use the file size slider to set appropriate file size.

Maybe someone will be along to describe what to reset or tweak in 'save for web' that will make me consider using it again.

Last Modified By arhb at 17 Feb 2013 - 11:04 AM
    GlennH
    17 Feb 2013 - 11:10 AM

Quote: I had this problem Trev, although I can't pinpoint exactly when it started happening, but it was the 'save for web' process that made it happen.

'Save for Web' colour can be skewed by Photoshop's OpenGL settings - switching the level down can sometimes restore order. The preview settings will also affect the colour - you generally want to avoid monitor colour or monitor RGB, or whatever Adobe have named it in your particular version. Document Profile or sRGB should be okay.

Last Modified By GlennH at 17 Feb 2013 - 11:12 AM
    achieverswales
    17 Feb 2013 - 11:26 AM

Thank you both but as someone who is touching seventy and learning about Photoshop and computers these comments I am afraid are going over my head, I would need the help with instructions on how to do these things, sorry for being so thick but was brought up using pen and paper and this is all new to me, and so frustrating that these problems suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Regards

Trev.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72329 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Feb 2013 - 11:28 AM

I have OpenGL set to off... do I need it on for any particular reason?

GlennH
    17 Feb 2013 - 12:23 PM

Quote: Thank you both but as someone who is touching seventy and learning about Photoshop and computers these comments I am afraid are going over my head, I would need the help with instructions on how to do these things

In Photoshop's 'Save for Web', you can convert to and embed the sRGB profile just by checking a couple of boxes, as below:

srgb.jpg

Quote: I have OpenGL set to off... do I need it on for any particular reason?

Not unless you identify one - I tend to use 'flick panning', but probably not much else that needs OpenGL Drawing. It only tends to cause colour problems when it's switched on at too high a setting for a particular graphics processor. Otherwise your problems are likely caused by your choice of Save for Web preview settings (or conceivably erroneous use of proof settings in Photoshop itself). The preview setting viewable above should cause no problems, plus it gives a visual alert if you forget to convert to sRGB (i.e. the image will lose saturation).

achieverswales
    17 Feb 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi Glen
    All these boxes are ticked but still are washed out, the funny thing is, if I open Photoshop then open the EPZ file where the photos are I can click on one of the washed out photos and the small preview box at the bottom shows it in the correct colours even though is is showing as washed out, I do not understand this at all, the computer was moved after the decorators finished and when I turned on the computer the External hard drive would not work, that is in the repair shop, not sure if this helps.

Regards

Trev.

arhb
    17 Feb 2013 - 4:26 PM

Thanks Glenn.
    I did look at the save for web ui, and found that, as you have visually desribed, setting preview to Internet standard RGB gives a much closer representation to the original, that it did when set to Monitor Colour.
    I think I prefer the new technique I use, as the colour seems to remain closer to the original.

Trev, I will send you a PM with a step by step process that will hopefully get you round using save for web, at least till you can figure it out.

Last Modified By arhb at 17 Feb 2013 - 4:26 PM
    achieverswales
    17 Feb 2013 - 5:58 PM

Thank you all for your help in trying to resolve the issue! Have had the Chairman of my photography club here all afternoon he works with computers, you can see in version 2 I have just uploaded he has succeeded, it seemed the problem was that when saving to web from Photoshop the files were being corrupted, I do hope this does not happen to any of you as it has taken 5 hours to resolve by elimination.

Regards

Trev.

GlennH
    17 Feb 2013 - 7:14 PM

Monitor colour (aka Monitor RGB) is almost never a good idea, since it effectively turns colour management off. When you use it you're previewing the uncorrected colour of your own screen.

Glad you got the problem sorted Trev; the second version looks healthier!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.