Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with d200 please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rueval
    rueval  4 United Kingdom
    1 Nov 2011 - 7:31 PM

I am not sure if I have a problem with my camera and hoping someone could help me.
    I recently got some studio lighting and if I use my camera on a fast shutter speed with them the top half of the image is black. The amount of black alters with the shutter speed.
    I don't know enough about the gubbings inside to know if this is normal or not.
    Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this issue.
    Craig.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Nov 2011 - 7:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2011 - 7:39 PM

It's your flash sync speed.
    Here's an article which explains a little about the shutter on your camera.

rueval
    rueval  4 United Kingdom
    1 Nov 2011 - 7:55 PM

Thank you I am reading the link now.
    I will have to play about and figure it all out.

BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2011 - 8:07 PM

in short, if shooting portraits, set the shutter to about 1/150th, and you should be fine.... the black bit in the picture is the mirror blocking the sensor as it cant move fast enough to get out of the way.

rueval
    rueval  4 United Kingdom
    1 Nov 2011 - 8:13 PM

Thanks first time I have played with lighting. I think I will have to read up on it all.

thewilliam
    1 Nov 2011 - 10:57 PM

If you use an infra-red flash trigger rather than a sync lead, you'll need to set a shutter speed slower than the usual "X" speed.

I've never used my D200 in the studio and the handbook is hiding so I can't tell you the right speed but you can do a quick test. Set the shutter speed to 1/125 and take a flash-lit picture of a plain white background. The whole image should be white with no sign of a black stripe. Then increase the shutter speed by one click at a time and repeat the test. When you've found the speed at which the black stripe starts to appear, back the speed off to one click slower.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Nov 2011 - 8:56 AM

If flash is the only source of lighting, then the shutter speed does not need to be fast...the flash is of such short duration that it will freeze motion anyway. The only problem you will have is when the shutter speed gets so slow as to be at ambient light levels, and in a studio, that should be quite slow!
    Only the aperture (and ISO, but you don't normally adjust this in the studio) has a bearing dependant on the distance of the lights from the subject.

On a D200, the sync speed should be 1/250 sec, so shoot anywhere up to that speed and it should be fine. I suggest 1/60 or 1/125 and just vary the aperture. If the lighting is too strong/weak for your chosen depth of field, move the lights!

Nick

Railcam
    Railcam  7477 forum posts Scotland
    2 Nov 2011 - 9:45 AM

Quote: the black bit in the picture is the mirror blocking the sensor as it cant move fast enough to get out of the way.

Nothing to do with the mirror getting in the way. It is the second shutter curtain already closing when the first curtain is fully open and firing the flash. This is the case when set to first curtain flash.

Hope this clarifies.

User_Removed
    2 Nov 2011 - 10:10 AM

Quote:

Nothing to do with the mirror getting in the way. It is the second shutter curtain already closing when the first curtain is fully open and firing the flash. This is the case when set to first curtain flash.

Correct.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62481 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    2 Nov 2011 - 11:36 AM

Quote: On a D200, the sync speed should be 1/250 sec,

Some studio flash units need 1/125 or occasionally 1/60 for the full flash output to be recorded.
    1/250 is fine with a Nikon hotshoe type flash. Often around 1/125 may be better with studio flash.

User_Removed
    2 Nov 2011 - 11:43 AM

Quote: On a D200, the sync speed should be 1/250 sec,
    Some studio flash units need 1/125 or occasionally 1/60 for the full flash output to be recorded.
    1/250 is fine with a Nikon hotshoe type flash. Often around 1/125 may be better with studio flash.

That is also correct. But using a shutter speed slower than the sync speed but faster than the full studio flash speed should not lead to the problem being experienced by the OP. It should just lead to a degree of underexposure.

rueval
    rueval  4 United Kingdom
    2 Nov 2011 - 7:11 PM

Thanks for the response I will try them settings and see what happens......
    I now just need to find a willing victim.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.