Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Help with fee guide please!

Juliee 8 382 4 England
6 Dec 2010 10:58AM
I've just had a call from somebody, who'd like to use one of my images for the printing of about 500 xmas cards. They'd obviously like to know what I'd charge.

I usually use the NUJ freelance guide. But this is a little different and I can't find any sort of guide for a price.

At the moment I'm thinking between 50 - 90?? But I've no idea if that's to cheap or extortionate! Any ideas???

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

6 Dec 2010 11:20AM
Congratulations! When I sold some postcards via redbubble I had no idea what to charge either!

First of all make it clear that it's a licensed use of copyright material.

Are the cards for charitable, commercial or private use?

Charging 100 (obviously) means that you are making 20 pence per card. When you make your own what is your margin?

Finally, sometimes thinking too much cause stagnation, what's wrong with following your heart?

Good luck

Stephen
Juliee 8 382 4 England
6 Dec 2010 11:31AM
Thanks Stephen.
The person who contacted me on the persons behalf, seemed to know what she was talking about with regard to the use of copyright material.

The cards are for his professional contacts, so sort of private use, I suppose.
Obviously I'd make more per card if I had to actually make them, but in this case I'd only have to send the file.

So 100 doesn't seem extortionate for that then then?
6 Dec 2010 11:44AM
Feels a bit cheap to me but then what do I know (considering your time, equipment, marketing costs, etc etc etc)
6 Dec 2010 11:45AM
Oh and did you remember to ask what their budget is?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
6 Dec 2010 11:48AM
100 is way over-priced in this current market. If you can get it however - then go for it but 50 even less would be about right for a 500 print run of a business xmas card.

...although he/she is leaving it a bit late.
Juliee 8 382 4 England
6 Dec 2010 11:53AM
Erm..no... was I supposed to then?
What would you think to charge for this then? Just out of interest.

This is just for the use of my image, they're arranging their own printing etc and not selling them on.
I'm really stumped by this one.
6 Dec 2010 11:55AM
If it helps - one of my abstract images was recently (last month) licensed for the front cover of a limited run report for 150
Juliee 8 382 4 England
6 Dec 2010 11:55AM
Yes keithh, I thought they were cutting it fine! Which is why I was keen to get back to them asap!
Juliee 8 382 4 England
6 Dec 2010 11:59AM
Good for you Stephen!
John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2010 12:05PM
For the use of a single image for a 500 print run of xmas cards I would have thought somewhere between 5p and 10p per card (25-50) wouldn't be unreasonable. If you can get more then I would take it quickly.
6 Dec 2010 12:09PM
Of course, it is your image and you are no obligation to sell a license at all!
Juliee 8 382 4 England
6 Dec 2010 5:30PM
Thanks for the help.

In the end, I decided I wasn't prepared to sell it for 25 and felt 100 was asking a bit much. So I went for 80 and she seemed very happy with that, said it was more than reasonable. I got the impression she was expecting it to be more.

But I'm happy.
Thanks again, Julie
6 Dec 2010 6:46PM
Congratulations
John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2010 9:08PM
the best price is one that both parties are happy with - well done.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.