Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with Finepix HS30EXR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mjannoo
    mjannoo  1 United Kingdom
    31 Jul 2012 - 4:57 PM

I am new to photography. My wife gave me a Finepix HS30EXR. I shall be very pleased if some one will kindly help me using the Zoom feature on this camera. The image on the view finder or backlit screen does not appear clearly in focus when I zoom in. The photo taken is better than the image seen on the viewfinder or backliot screen. With my previous Cannon the viewfinder image was a lot clearer which provide confidence to take the photo. Forum members may offer me solutions and point me to using the camera properly. Is wanting the camera zoom to also serve as having binocular properties bringing the image close and clear before taking the photo too much to expect? What am I doing wrong.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Jul 2012 - 4:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH  91882 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2012 - 6:39 PM

Quote: The photo taken is better than the image seen on the viewfinder or backlit screen.

Not sure I'm getting hold of the right end of the stick here, but it's not unusual to find the image on a camera's LCD disappointing when you start zooming in, because there'll likely be an in-camera algorithm at work that re-sizes the image. In fact the detail can look positively rough, and still look good once you have it on your monitor. Best not to get hung-up on that providing the end result is okay (I note your camera has a 2x digital zoom on top of its optical zoom, which should probably be avoided or used sparingly if you want consistently good results).

Last Modified By GlennH at 31 Jul 2012 - 6:42 PM
    dcash29
    dcash29  81887 forum posts England
    31 Jul 2012 - 11:54 PM

I cant grasp whats going on either, sounds to me that the camera is set to single A/F mode

Set it to continuous A/F mode

Check the manual page 48

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4493 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Aug 2012 - 4:43 PM

The only thing that occurs to me ???........are you zooming the lens before focusing ??.......try a half-press on the shutter button to actuate
    the auto-focus, then zoom the lens in.....though it may need a second half-press to refocus at your final zoom setting ??

Just a thought ??

lemontart
    lemontart  154 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Jan 2013 - 7:22 PM

I have one of these too, there is a button on the top that lets you adjust the view finder to your eyesight maybe that will help.

MichaelMelb_AU
    14 Jan 2013 - 10:49 AM

Quote: The only thing that occurs to me ???........are you zooming the lens before focusing ??.......try a half-press on the shutter button to actuate
    the auto-focus, then zoom the lens in.....though it may need a second half-press to refocus at your final zoom setting ??

Just a thought ??

This one is the right advice. Unlike a DSLR with optical viewfinder HS30 has an electronic one (EVF). And with the zoom range x30 and rather limited resolution of EVF the image gets excessively blurry. Half-pressing the shutter makes the lens focus and brings sharpness back. Other special thing about HS30 EVF is that the brightness of the image may be misleading as well, and unless in real bright outdoors I would advice to use the screen - which can be regulated by brightness (EVF can not). The main screen in HS30 is real good though. HS30 is not a DSLR - but in between superzooms it is the closest thing to DSLR ( ergonomics wise) that one can have. I have it- and truly enjoy using it as a second camera to my Canon EOS.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.