Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with layers please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Mari
Mari e2 Member 101825 forum postsMari vcard Wales
19 Feb 2005 - 10:05 AM

I've got an image which i've exposed for the sky and so the fg is dark. I need to lighten the fg but when I select it and adjust levels, I always get a halo, no matter how much or little feathering I use.

I have a feeling this could be done more neatly by using layers but having tried to fiddle around for a couple of hours, I am getting nowhere. Do I need to select both areas separately in different layers, do I use a mask or what. I would be grateful for help, i've read endlessly on the subject but still can't seem to grasp it when putting into practice.

Confused Mari

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Feb 2005 - 10:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Miles Herbert
19 Feb 2005 - 10:12 AM

Why not just create a duplicate layer, so you can go back to the original if it all goes wrong, and mask off the foreground of the duplicate using Quick Mask, the go back to mormal mode, click on rectangle marquee, right click on the image and choose "select inverse". The area you masked off should now be the working area, and any changes you make will only apply to this area.

when you are happy, just flatten the image, the bottom layer original is only an insurance against things going wrong.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Feb 2005 - 10:14 AM

Mari,
A quick way would be to use your Polygonal Lasso tool,

Draw around the foreground then select levels adjust then right click on your lasso and deselect.

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
19 Feb 2005 - 10:18 AM

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you are after.
http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/adjlay/adjlay.htm
I use capture One, do two exposures and then blend together in Photoshop.

Mari
19 Feb 2005 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply, Miles, i'm going to try that now, i'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks Frank , i'll have a look at that link.

When I do that with the selection tool, Andy, I get a halo which is why I wanted to see if I could do it by layering. Would the lassoo tool be any different? I haven't got a very steady hand!!

Cheers

Mari

Mari
19 Feb 2005 - 10:27 AM

Miles, have gone back to my image and can't find where quick mask is, i've got PS6?????????????? Any idea??

I must be so thick!!

Edit, just found it !!

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2005 - 11:29 AM

Mari (or anyone who is unsure about layer masks), you may find this tutorial helpful.

User_Removed
19 Feb 2005 - 11:56 AM

Excellent Boyd! Thanks for the link...

Mike

AdrianTurner
19 Feb 2005 - 12:01 PM

Mari,
Heres an alternative method, it does sound a little complicated to start with but is far less time consuming. If you are shooting RAW all the better, process once for the sky exposure and save this with a different name to the original, process a again this time tweaking the exposure etc. for the foreground. If you have shot in JPEG, you will need to adjust Levels/Curves in PS on the second image.

O.K. either way you know have one dark image (Sky Correct) and one light image (Foreground Correct).
Working with the dark image:- use Select>All, then Edit>Copy, close the dark image.
Working with the light image:- use Edit>Paste, you now have two layers, in the Layers Palette click on the topmost layer to select it, go to Layers>Add Layer Mask>Reveal All.
Next click on the bottom layer and use:- Select>All, then Edit>Copy
Now hold down the Alt key and click on the white rectangle (layer mask) which has appeared on the top layer, your image will turn white, this indicates that you are now working in the Layer Mask use:- Edit>Paste, the Layer Mask will now contain a B&W representation of your image.
With the B&W mask displayed use:- Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set the Radius to about 40 pixels

Click on the bottom layer and WOW look what youve done, before you flatten the image into one layer you can fine tune the result independently within each layer but make sure you select the actual layers and not the layer mask.

Hope this will be of some help to you, it really isnt as complicated as it seems once youve done it a couple of times and is actually very quick when you dont have to refer to notes to remember the steps.

This is not guaranteed to work with all images, but does work with many.

Adrian.

kaybee
kaybee  93703 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2005 - 1:06 PM

Select your area quite wide and loosley. Give it a big feather and make a copy layer of the area. Then select your levels and adjust to taste. Once that is done you can use the erazer tool with a soft brush to take off any bits you don't want altered. Finally, flatten the layers.

As you can see from the advice, there are lots of doing this - it is just a case of finding one that suits you

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
19 Feb 2005 - 1:37 PM

"Heres an alternative method, it does sound a little complicated to start with but is far less time consuming."

Agreee, same method I use. Takes longer to write than to do! Wink

Mari
19 Feb 2005 - 1:40 PM

Thanks everyone so much. I am normally a quick learner but layers have always baffled me. Perhaps i'm trying to make it harder than it is.

Anyway, I now have loads to help and i'm most grateful to you all.

Mari

Mari
20 Feb 2005 - 1:45 AM

BTW if anyone wants to have a play with the image i've been trying to alter its now HERE

JohnHorne
JohnHorne  91023 forum posts
20 Feb 2005 - 7:41 AM

Here's a method which is easier than those suggested so far.
Create a duplicate layer.
Working on the top layer:
- convert it to black and white;
- convert it to a negative image;
- set the blend mode to overlay.
If the effect is too strong, reduce the opacity of the top layer. If the effect is not strong enough, merge the layers and repeat the process.

I've demonstrated this by uploading an edited version of your original image. In this case the effect is fairly subtle, so you may wish to apply it twice.

John

Simon_Whitehouse

For JohnHorne

How do you convert the layer to a negative image in PS 7?

Thanks in advance.

Smithy

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.