Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Help with lighting!

meercat e2
5 278 United Kingdom
8 May 2009 9:36AM
Hi all, I need some help, I am trying to do some more pics of my pregnant girlfriend (have a low key one on my portfolio) but what I want is a white (light) background with light shining through making my GF a partial silhouette in the fore ground. The help I need is with lighting I have a flash unit for on the camera (not got a lead or remote at present) a large patio door (to shoot in front of) and a couple of small lights from a table top studio style thing. Will this be enough to creat the style I am after?

I can't find an example at the moment of what I am after sorry.

Oh and using canon gear, 50 or 100mm lenses but don't think that would make any difference.

Cheers in advance.

Ash

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

meercat e2
5 278 United Kingdom
8 May 2009 9:46AM
Forgot to add I have a white fabric backdrop, which is quite thin.
timbo e2
12 592 United Kingdom
8 May 2009 10:11AM
Your low key shot is lovely.
For the high key, silhouette shot try hanging the backdrop in front of the patio door and shoot on program without flash. You will probably need a tripod to avoid camera shake and your girlfriend will need to be in a comfortable position to keep still.
The camera will expose for the large white area giving you the effect you are after although you may need to over expose a stop or two to keep it white.
Good luck with the baby and the sleepless nights to come!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.