Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help with Lightroom 2

25 Aug 2009 2:57PM
I shoot with a 5d and have just got CS4 and Lightroom 2. Lightroom 2 is great for cataloguing however I obviously want to edit in CS4. I shoot in RAW only and when I select the file in Lightroom 2 and then select Edit In - CS4 the file opens straight in CS4 without the normal RAW editing interface that I had when opening from Bridge into CS3. Why is this ??? Appreciate any feedback, Cheers, Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigCol e2
13 1.8k 1 Scotland
25 Aug 2009 3:06PM
That'll be because Lightroom is doing the RAW editing, that's what it is. Once you've done your RAW processing in Lightroom you then select edit in CS4 and it'll open the already processed file in CS4 for you to do further editing, though not the RAW editing.
If you want to edit the RAW file in CS4 then you need to open it directly from CS4, although the processing engine in both Lightroom and CS4 is the same (seeing as they're both from Adobe.)

Hope that helps?
Col
jarendell e2
8 95 2 Spain
25 Aug 2009 3:17PM
I thought that you can send the original file (plus others such as tiff dng etc) from LR into PS4 in its original state by selecting the photo you wish to export then shift control e, or file export which brings up the export dialog box, then under file settings choose original format then export.
Thats how I do it.
James
jarendell e2
8 95 2 Spain
25 Aug 2009 3:19PM
P.S.
Should have added that the last item in that dialog box there is the option of Post Processing in which you can select PS4 or whatever programme you wish.
25 Aug 2009 3:33PM
I see .. thanks guys for that ... have just bought loads of gadgets and wading thru all the guff is a bit daunting, especially when you have got used to doing it a different way.
25 Aug 2009 3:35PM
P.S. I sound like a bit of a muppet now, who bought Lightroom 2 and seemingly didn't know what it did .. as a caveat I was given it f.o.c. and mainly have issues with workflow so that was why I originally wanted it and as it was free then anything else is a bonus :o)
jarendell e2
8 95 2 Spain
25 Aug 2009 3:43PM
There are plenty of blogs,websites out there for you to get your teeth into.Victoria Bampton known as the Lightroom Queen is a useful troubleshooting blog.I found Martin Evenings LR2 book very useful too
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2009 3:54PM
25 Aug 2009 3:55PM
Thanks again ... :o)
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
25 Aug 2009 6:02PM
Nice one Chris... Just ordered that book. I'm comfortable with using LR but haven't a clue re the Cataloging side of it.
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2009 7:09PM
or this the Martin Evening version. Have to confess to being only halfway through it since Christmas though!! Smile
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
30 Aug 2009 9:47AM
Scott Kelby arrived yesterday morning btw Chris - haven't put it down until now. Excellent book as you say...
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
30 Aug 2009 10:24AM
Is he heavy, Mike? Smile did you have sore arms? Tongue
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2009 11:24AM

Quote:Scott Kelby arrived yesterday morning btw Chris - haven't put it down until now. Excellent book as you say...

Glad to be of service - though you really should put him down..you don't know where he's been!
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
30 Aug 2009 3:32PM

Quote:Scott Kelby arrived yesterday morning btw Chris - haven't put it down until now. Excellent book as you say...

But did you learn anything from it ?

I ask this as I get the sense from other comments on the forums that you have been using LR for a while.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.