Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with Lightroom Catalog on importing files

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    russellsnr
    19 Jul 2012 - 8:46 PM

Hi, I have upgraded my photographic only computer so I have three hard drives, when you install Lightroom it automatically selects within Windows the My Pictures folder for the original first catalog to be situated.
    I, when importing now intend to import to a second drive with a folder/s setup.
    Am I correct in thinking that although Lightroom placed the original setup catalog in the My Pictures folder when I open an image it is opened from the second hard drive and not kept as a RAW file within the original Lightroom catalog?
    I ask because I don't want to fill my operating hard drive with photo files.
    Hope someone understands the question.
    Many Thanks
    Russ

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Jul 2012 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014140 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jul 2012 - 8:56 PM

The catalogue just indexes the files which can be on any drive you like.
    It doesn't move the files unless you select that option on import.

You can see the location of the files in the folders panel on the left of the library module.

mikehit
    mikehit  56463 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jul 2012 - 9:19 PM

Yes, you are correct.
    The catalogue is just that - a repository of thumbnails that let you select the image you want even though the actual photograph is somewhere else and that particular drive may not even be connected to the computer. It is called a catalogue for a very good reason: it is like having an Argos catalogue at home (=Lightroom catalogue) but you need to go to the actual shop to handle the things (=hard disc with your pictures).
    If you set up 1:1 previews on import, then those previews will also be stored with the catalogue and although you can seemingly zoom in, you are not zooming in on the actual picture and will not be able to edit it.

User_Removed
    19 Jul 2012 - 9:45 PM

Yep.

The only pitfall to watch is that when you set up your external HDDs for image file storage, don't (either deliberately or inadvertently) change the drive letters after Lightroom has catalogued the files.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014140 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jul 2012 - 9:57 PM

and of course make sure you have regular backups for all your photos and the catalogue.

russellsnr
    20 Jul 2012 - 6:46 AM

Many thanks to all
    Russ

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.