Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help with macro lens for EPM 1, please

SUSIEK e2
7 3
2 Sep 2012 10:45AM
Hello from a newbie and very novice photographer.

I've just moved up from a point-and-shoot to an Olympus EPM 1, which I love. While the auto mode gives beautiful results, I do want to begin using more advanced techniques and getting a better understanding of how things work.

Mainly I enjoy shooting close-ups of plants and insects. There are two scene settings on the EPM 1 - macro and nature macro, and I can't see any difference between them. Does anybody know?

In any case, I am looking for a dedicated macro lens.

After reading much advice on many forums, I bought a Canon FD 50 mm 3.5 lens and adapter for the EPM 1. However, it isn't working for me, firstly due to its weight - I can't hold it steady - and secondly I hadn't realised how difficult it would be to manually focus for close-up shots. They look sharp in the LCD screen, but are almost always at least slightly out of focus once downloaded. I am persisting with it but it's tending to make shooting a struggle rather than a pleasure. Sad

I'm thinking of buying the Zuiko 35 mm. 3.5 macro lens. Can anybody tell me if this would be a good buy? Will it give sharp close-up images? Will it focus automatically? I presume that it mounts directly onto the EPM 1 body?

Many thanks for any advice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

2 Sep 2012 11:30AM
Just an idea have you thought of one of these a viewfinder . I have one on my nex 5n and found it very useful

Greg
SUSIEK e2
7 3
2 Sep 2012 3:30PM
Thanks, Greg, looks like a very useful gizmo. But it wouldn't solve the problem of the weight of the Canon lens, and I would rather spend the money on a macro lens that will auto focus. Grateful for your input, though. Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Sep 2012 4:10PM

Quote:I'm thinking of buying the Zuiko 35 mm. 3.5 macro lens. Can anybody tell me if this would be a good buy? Will it give sharp close-up images? Will it focus automatically? I presume that it mounts directly onto the EPM 1 body?

The 35mm Macro is a 4/3 lens, you can use it but you will meed an adapter.

The best buy is a wide angle adapter, made by Olympus to fit the two kit lenses, the 14-42 and the 40=150.

There`s an offer for this adapter an Amazon that includes a handy Pen bag, not bad for a little over 40.

Also worth a look would be the evf viewfinder, the vf2 would be better for macro.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/pen-camera_pen_21693_accessory_mcon-p01__macro_converter_23910.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-PEN-Macro-Travel-Kit/dp/B005OO53VS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346598241&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-VF-2-Electronic-Viewfinder-Black/dp/B0037BRRXC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346598013&sr=1-1
SUSIEK e2
7 3
2 Sep 2012 4:34PM
Thank you, Paul. I thought the Olympus EPM 1 was a 4/3 camera? The 14-42 kit lens fits it without any adapter.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Sep 2012 4:39PM
Yes your EPM1 is a m4/3 camera and takes M4/3 lenses, that 14-42 lens you are using is a M4/3 lens.

If you want to retain auto focus the simplest option is that macro converter attached to your 14-42 M4/3 lens.
SUSIEK e2
7 3
2 Sep 2012 4:58PM
Ah, that's the information I am looking for, Paul. Thank you. Smile

I see now that that is what is used for shooting with the macro scene setting on the EPM 1.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Sep 2012 6:44PM
Yes there could be a special setting in the menu if your using the closeup adapter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.