Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with macro lens for EPM 1, please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SUSIEK
    SUSIEK  7
    2 Sep 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hello from a newbie and very novice photographer.

I've just moved up from a point-and-shoot to an Olympus EPM 1, which I love. While the auto mode gives beautiful results, I do want to begin using more advanced techniques and getting a better understanding of how things work.

Mainly I enjoy shooting close-ups of plants and insects. There are two scene settings on the EPM 1 - macro and nature macro, and I can't see any difference between them. Does anybody know?

In any case, I am looking for a dedicated macro lens.

After reading much advice on many forums, I bought a Canon FD 50 mm 3.5 lens and adapter for the EPM 1. However, it isn't working for me, firstly due to its weight - I can't hold it steady - and secondly I hadn't realised how difficult it would be to manually focus for close-up shots. They look sharp in the LCD screen, but are almost always at least slightly out of focus once downloaded. I am persisting with it but it's tending to make shooting a struggle rather than a pleasure. Sad

I'm thinking of buying the Zuiko 35 mm. 3.5 macro lens. Can anybody tell me if this would be a good buy? Will it give sharp close-up images? Will it focus automatically? I presume that it mounts directly onto the EPM 1 body?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Sep 2012 - 10:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dairylab
    dairylab  6 England
    2 Sep 2012 - 11:30 AM

Just an idea have you thought of one of these a viewfinder. I have one on my nex 5n and found it very useful

Greg

SUSIEK
    SUSIEK  7
    2 Sep 2012 - 3:30 PM

Thanks, Greg, looks like a very useful gizmo. But it wouldn't solve the problem of the weight of the Canon lens, and I would rather spend the money on a macro lens that will auto focus. Grateful for your input, though. Smile

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2012 - 4:10 PM

Quote: I'm thinking of buying the Zuiko 35 mm. 3.5 macro lens. Can anybody tell me if this would be a good buy? Will it give sharp close-up images? Will it focus automatically? I presume that it mounts directly onto the EPM 1 body?

The 35mm Macro is a 4/3 lens, you can use it but you will meed an adapter.

The best buy is a wide angle adapter, made by Olympus to fit the two kit lenses, the 14-42 and the 40=150.

There`s an offer for this adapter an Amazon that includes a handy Pen bag, not bad for a little over 40.

Also worth a look would be the evf viewfinder, the vf2 would be better for macro.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/pen-camera_pen_21693_accessory_mcon-p01__macro...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-PEN-Macro-Travel-Kit/dp/B005OO53VS/ref=sr_1_3?s=...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-VF-2-Electronic-Viewfinder-Black/dp/B0037BRRXC/r...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 2 Sep 2012 - 4:11 PM
    SUSIEK
    SUSIEK  7
    2 Sep 2012 - 4:34 PM

Thank you, Paul. I thought the Olympus EPM 1 was a 4/3 camera? The 14-42 kit lens fits it without any adapter.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2012 - 4:39 PM

Yes your EPM1 is a m4/3 camera and takes M4/3 lenses, that 14-42 lens you are using is a M4/3 lens.

If you want to retain auto focus the simplest option is that macro converter attached to your 14-42 M4/3 lens.

SUSIEK
    SUSIEK  7
    2 Sep 2012 - 4:58 PM

Ah, that's the information I am looking for, Paul. Thank you. Smile

I see now that that is what is used for shooting with the macro scene setting on the EPM 1.

Paul Morgan
    2 Sep 2012 - 6:44 PM

Yes there could be a special setting in the menu if your using the closeup adapter.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.