Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with my first interchangeable mirrorless camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Krenton
    5 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Hi there,

I'm looking for my first interchangeable mirrorless camera, but I got confused by so many different models.

I tried to narrow them down by things that are important to me, like:

- Price range < 450,-
    - Compact size, so probably rangefinder-style
    - Full HD video, don't want to carry a separate camcorder device
    - Tilting or fully articulated LCD
    - Last but not least, of course image quality

Based on these criteria and reading a lot of reviews I came to the following 2 options: the Panasonic Lumix GF6 and the Samsung NX300
    Can someone give me advice on why I should choose one above the other?

Or do you have a better alternative? Maybe the Sony NEX-5R/T, although I can't find much reviews that shows it is better then my 2 options.

Btw: can these camera's match the image/video quality of the Sony SLT-A58 DSLR, that is only 350,-

Thanks a lot already Wink

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coast
    Coast Critique Team 61076 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
    5 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

Have you thought about second hand? Only as at your budget this will allow a couple more options such as the OMD E-M5 if you shop around.

I have experience of the Panasonic. Great camera and good IQ plus you have a great range of lens choice to grow into a system. I found the rear screen only option to be quite limiting at times, particularly in bright lighting as it is difficult to see the image and settings detail on the screen. I upgraded my GF1 to the Olympus OMD 10 which is just out of budget at almost 700. The OMD 10 is a miraculous piece of kit. I am astounded at the IQ from it. Size wise it is about the same size as the GF1 - just a couple of mm taller but very portable.

The E-M5 being the first of the OMD's can be found second hand in hardly used condition and I've seen them for around 400 such as here

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-compact-system-cameras/used...

I looked at loads of mirror less camera systems and started with the Panasonic moving recently to the OMD 10. I'm now considering selling off all my FF Canon kit and going into the OMD system with full heart.

Regards
    Paul

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315324 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 May 2014 - 1:20 AM

New and wit your budget, probably something like the EPL5 + EVF or the Panasonic G5, there are good deals around for both.

Second hand could be a good root as well.

OceanOak
    OceanOak e2 Member 2OceanOak vcard
    6 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

I have some good Nikon lenses so this will be a major factor for me and I will probably choose a mirrorless Nikon1 V2 orV3 with the FT-1 adapter which allows my dSLR lenses to be fitted to these Nikon 1 cameras.

Coast
    Coast Critique Team 61076 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
    6 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Quote: I have some good Nikon lenses so this will be a major factor for me and I will probably choose a mirrorless Nikon1 V2 orV3 with the FT-1 adapter which allows my dSLR lenses to be fitted to these Nikon 1 cameras.

My only thoughts on this sort of combination, which is good to utilise lenses you already own, the kit becomes quite large and cumbersome and the smaller camera body less easy to handle than a DSLR that the lenses were originally intended for.

For the small gain in a lighter, smaller camera body but less enjoyable handling I'd stick with the DSLR.

The difference with investing in a full mirrorless system such as the m4/3rds is small, light cameras that give good IQ from small light dedicated lenses that have great edge to edge sharpness such as the Zuiko range of primes from Olympus.

I had the Panasonic GF1which I enjoyed using. I've now got the Olympus OMD 10 and it's a revelation. Light, compact and I'm blown away with the IQ. Now debating whether to sell all my Canon full frame kit and go full month for the Olympus set up. There are some fabulous lenses such as the 75mm f1.8 amongst others that I'd love to add to the Panasonic 20mm, 14mm and 45-200mm.

Regards
    Paul

Steppenwolf
    6 May 2014 - 2:23 PM

Quote: Based on these criteria and reading a lot of reviews I came to the following 2 options: the Panasonic Lumix GF6 and the Samsung NX300
    Can someone give me advice on why I should choose one above the other?

Out of those two I'd go for the Panasonic every time. That's not entirely because every Samsung product I have bought has gone wrong - which may just be bad luck, although none of my Sony stuff has ever gone wrong - but because I'm pretty sure that the m4/3 system will be around for some time.

It's not going to be better than the A58 SLT though, for either movies or stills. The SLT has a bigger and better sensor plus it's also got a nice EVF. It depends on what you want. The A58 is larger and the lenses are larger (1.5X crop rather than 2X crop for the Panny), so you can't stick it in your coat pocket.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315324 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 May 2014 - 4:33 PM

I still think you will be better served with the EPL5 and it should leave you with enough change for for a 40-150, an EVF or one of the cheaper prime lenses.

This shares the same sensor as the EM5.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-E-PL5-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B009C73A1I/ref=sr...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 May 2014 - 4:34 PM
    iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2014 - 1:28 PM

Do you need a view finder or are you happy to compose at arms length?
    Remember that a view finder generally allows slower shutter speeds to be used as camera is braced against your face rather than waving around at the end of your arms.
    I agree, consider second hand, say a Fuji X-E1 which give pretty good results, or an Olympus.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.