Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with my Nikon D70 !!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AliceLuisePhotography

Hello guys i have bit of a problem.... On my nikon d70 the shutter has either jammed or broke , because if i press the shutter button nothing happens and the display screen says "err", i have been told to try and do the mirror lock up thing on the menu? However it is greyed out on mine meaning i cannot select it. Is there away i can update the soft ware so i can select this function or can you think of another thing to try to fix my camera? Thanks Guys Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Oct 2011 - 6:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    20 Oct 2011 - 6:56 PM

Before despairing, try taking the battery out, removing the lens, cleaning all the contacts on both and then re-assembling.

AliceLuisePhotography

I have tried that many a time , im a bit clue less about what esle to try. :s

gary.d
    gary.d  12134 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Oct 2011 - 7:46 PM

Back in the day there was a widespread issue with 'dead' D70's with Nikon providing free repairs. This may be connected. Perhaps worth searching on the internet for an answer.

AliceLuisePhotography

Thanks i will have a look,

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 9:19 PM

Quote: with Nikon providing free repairs

Thats true, But you need to be quick as this offer for the D70 models affected, Expires at the end of February 2012.....!!!

Go to Nikons site, Check out the Support pages for D70, Then follow the instructions regarding forms and sending it to Nikon for repair.....!!!!

However, You do need to provide the original sales invoice to get any of the help for free, But they will still provide you with an estimate for repairs.

Good though they where, The D70 has been around a long time in DSLR terms, I would probably advise looking for a replacement, As even the very basic models can run rings around the D70 these days, A sad fact of the march of technology, Even some compacts will give it a hard time.....In some areas.

Good luck whatever.....

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51174 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 11:22 PM

I have just used a company called 1ST AID REPAIRS based in Tunbridge Wells. They'll give an estimate via email if you complete the online form. They repaired my old D80 which my husband was using. My ERR message turned out to be the focussing mechanism had failed and needed replacing. Job done with a full service, cleaned and courier postage paid for 136.00. Took just over a week. I would definately use them again if I had to as they were very helpful and prompt. (I would have had it back sooner if I had replied straightaway to their email).

Hope this is useful to you.

Jane

loweskid
    loweskid  122042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2011 - 5:54 PM

Have you tried pressing the reset button? Tiny little button on the bottom, near the USB socket - check the manual.

This happened to my D70 not long after I bought it. I cured it by the mirror lock-up routine (in the sensor cleaning option). Make sure you've got a fully charged battery in. However, if that option is still greyed out after pressing the reset then I'm out of ideas.

kaybee
    kaybee  103768 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2011 - 9:23 AM

The problem the D70 had was the connection strip from the card pins to the processor was coming adrift inside the body.
    This is why they were doing the free repair (design fault on the earlier bult ones).
    Get in touch with them and they will advise you.

AliceLuisePhotography

Thanks guys ive sent it off for a quote to see if its worth repairing , as ive learnt all i can from this camera and am looking to advance on. So i have just put a deposit on a nikon 2dx hopefully i can learn more from this camera.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    22 Oct 2011 - 4:50 PM

Quote: Thanks guys ive sent it off for a quote to see if its worth repairing , as ive learnt all i can from this camera and am looking to advance on. So i have just put a deposit on a nikon 2dx hopefully i can learn more from this camera.

It may be worth looking at a used D300 or D300s. The D2X is a great handling camera, I have a D2Hs and love the way it feels and operates, but, the D300 series have much improved sensor and gives circa 1.5 stops extra dynamic range at any selected ISO plus reduce noise etc. The D300 sells for around the same price as a D2X. Just some more food for thought.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    22 Oct 2011 - 5:07 PM

Also look at a used D200 which can be had for circa 300. The sensor on the D200 has lower noise and greater dynamic range than the D2X.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.