Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with Panoramic pictures

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Smithy
    Smithy  2
    16 Jul 2012 - 7:40 PM

Hi guys

Iv done Panoramic pictures before where iv kept the tripod head straight and in line which I found easy, all I done was turn the head and capture each frame, however I took this picture at my works to create a pano but as you can see I'm high up so I had to set the tripod head looking down to the plant and I'm having problems getting it straight when editing as well as the picture after stitching is cut short in the middle..

untitled.jpg

I may answer my own question here but I cant keep going back to work to test my theory as with the type of Industry

Thanks for your Help in advance

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jul 2012 - 7:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2012 - 8:22 PM

Are you still using just one sweep from left to right? Might be an idea to do one sweep then adjust the camera further downwards and do a second sweep, then drop them in to Photomerge. You could always try freebie software like Autostitch though I think it only outputs in Jpeg (might be suitable for your needs?) but it does allow stitching in vertical and horizontal planes at the same time.

With the gaps from the odd curvature I would definitely try more overlaps between images and more than one row, though I appreciate your working conditions may hinder you.

Good luck!

Smithy
    Smithy  2
    16 Jul 2012 - 9:14 PM

Ok cheers, I'll give that a try, would altering the angle of the camera at each frame when doing a sweep work or would that make the picture worse?

Martin54
    Martin54 e2 Member 8497 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2012 - 9:42 PM

Hi, thats an interesting place of work with plenty of photographic opportunities. I've done a few panoramics and use PTGui which does a faultless job of stitching all sorts of images and angles. There's a free demo on the site of you want to give it a try.
    Martin

Metalhead
    16 Jul 2012 - 11:41 PM

I would stick to one angle for the first sweep then adjust down for a second sweep. I wouldn't adjust the angle for each shot. I did a Christmas shot of my living room that way which I think is in my portfolio on here. Autostitch coped OK with that with only a few dodgy overlaps and that was in a tight space. With more distance between you and your subject I'd hope the effect would be more successful.

You can probably use markers on your tripod to twist your camera to roughly the same place when you go back from one side to the other.

Look forward to seeing your next shots.

sausage
    sausage  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Jul 2012 - 8:53 AM

To get a successful panoramic shot the camera has to be turned on the lens nodal point - which is where the light rays cross over. And also the camera has to be level. Where you are high up looking down I would do one sweep level and the next sweep angled down. Make sure you overlap by at least a third.

I have the Manfrotto Panoramic head which, once set up, takes all the guesswork out of it. The results are excellent.

Good luck

Peter

Andy_Cundell
    17 Jul 2012 - 11:49 AM

Why not take them in portrait instead of landscape (turn the camera on its side Grin)?

Andy

Smithy
    Smithy  2
    17 Jul 2012 - 1:06 PM

Because I only have a 18-55 and it won't capture what I wanted in the picture.

Cheers for your help guys.

Smithy
    Smithy  2
    17 Jul 2012 - 8:15 PM

Sausage which model head you got? Just had a look at the 303 SPH, don't think id need that model as I doubt I'll do 360 pictures.

sausage
    sausage  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Jul 2012 - 4:52 PM

I have the 303SPH but the 303 Plus will probably be ok for you. The heads are perhaps on the expensive side but are made really well and will last many years.
    I've had mine about 6 or 7 years.

Peter

Smithy
    Smithy  2
    18 Aug 2012 - 4:42 PM

untitled-panorama1--600-x-344-.jpg

Took your advice on board and it seems to have worked, thanks guys!

Metalhead
    18 Aug 2012 - 10:22 PM

Nice result!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.