Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jay06
    Jay06 
    13 Mar 2014 - 4:18 PM

Hi I just want to follow up on my last thread.

I need to do a few prints a3 they need to be able to considerable wear and tear in the form handling and smudging.

I've been advised to consider lamination which I'm not to familiar with.
    I assume hot would be preferred over cold. I've seen lamination peel is this generally to do with cold lamination?

It is my understanding that hot lamination bonds permanently to the image where cold is bonded with adhesive which can result in peeling.

Is it possible to do do one sided hot lamination? As I don't want to incapsulate the print.
    Does hot lamination effect the print? Either the paper or inks?

Does anyone have experience with something similar?

Thanks
    Jay

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Mar 2014 - 4:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82308 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2014 - 4:49 PM

Welcome to the site Jay.

It may be useful if you were to outline how the print will be handled? E.g. the context

rickhanson
    rickhanson ePHOTOzine Staff 1rickhanson vcard United Kingdom
    13 Mar 2014 - 4:51 PM

You could encapsulate using two pieces of paper, when you trim up they will separate... however will probably curl.

Chris_H
    Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2014 - 4:59 PM

Hot lamination in something like a heat press / hotpress can give you the orange peel look with certain papers and boards. Cold lamination uses pressure sensitive films and heavy rollers and is what I would recommend, but both would do the job.

As long as the company uses the correct films, equipment and know what they are doing you won't have any issues.

Chris

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2014 - 5:08 PM

Why not get Archival sleeves to keep your images in. That's what I do and it's easy to just pull your image out of the sleeve.
    Stephen

Jay06
    Jay06 
    16 Mar 2014 - 10:46 PM

Hi guys

Thanks for the info, lots of pointers and help in there that's very much appreciated.

I plan to stick the image to a backing board/grey board to give it rigidity either 1250 micron or 2000 micron. I don't want to laminate both sides it is also a pet peeve of mine about encapsulation particularly as I dislike the resulting laminate frame on all sides.

dcash29
    dcash29  81904 forum posts England
    16 Mar 2014 - 11:05 PM

Jay

Find someone that can Uv coat the digital print

Dave

Jay06
    Jay06 
    5 Apr 2014 - 2:40 PM

Hi guys to follow up on my earlier posts I'm now looking at dry mounting the images to the backing board and then using another film to laminate cthe surface to protect it.

Has anyone used this method in the past? I know it's used for mounting pictures but will it work for something that will be used and handled a lot?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.