Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

help with problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    djh698
    djh698  10586 forum posts Canada4 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2013 - 10:50 PM

dsc-1540.jpg I took some pictures the other day with a 50 mm lens and a polarisor and when I put them on the computer they had a purple circle in the middle. Any ideas of the cause? This did not happen when I changed lens.
    David

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Mar 2013 - 10:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wheresjp
    wheresjp  6102 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Mar 2013 - 11:28 PM

Could always try the lens with and without the filter. If the purple spot appears in both you may have some dirt on the lens (front or Back). If it just with the CPL filter give it a clean and if it persists check for any defects or blemishes. Check to see if it appears with other lenses, if so you may have dirt on the sensor.

Hope this helps!

James

RavenTepes
    26 Mar 2013 - 7:12 AM

Just a thought....it could also be a speck of dust on the sensor itself

MichaelMelb_AU
    26 Mar 2013 - 9:16 AM

This looks like an infrared hotspot. It is not uncommon and can be seen with ordinary daylight photography too - as purplish haze in the centre of the image. Your image is typical of that - as infrared reflection off snow can be very strong. This is an occasional thing and changes with lens aspect toward subject, etc. I would not worry too much - this is perfectly fine, just a particular thing about your lens use in some extreme conditions.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 9:27 AM

Lens flare? Were you using a hood? The 50mm usually doesn't need a hood but if you had a filter stuck on it...

samueldilworth
    26 Mar 2013 - 9:48 AM

It is indeed a hot-spot caused by flare (non-image-forming light). Using a hood wonít help. Some Nikon 50 mm f/1.8 autofocus lenses are particularly susceptible to this type of flare.

You can reduce the intensity of the hot-spot by using a larger aperture (i.e. a smaller f-number, such as f/4 instead of f/16), but that would simultaneously increase the area of the hot-spot, possibly making it harder to clean up in post-processing. Sometimes a small, intense hot-spot is easier to fix in post-processing, but sometimes a low-intensity ghost over a large area (most or all of the frame) isnít noticed in the first place.

If itís a serious problem for you, choose another lens. I believe the old manual-focus 50 mm f/1.8 Nikkors do much better in this regard, for example.

djh698
    djh698  10586 forum posts Canada4 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the comments-I had never heard of a hotspot before.It sounds as though that is what it was.
    David

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.