Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help with purchase !!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

graceland
graceland  92378 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 7:15 PM

Getting a new camera I know the camera i want
But need a better lens
So getting Body only
Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera Body Only - Black (24.2MP) 3 inch LCD

but

will this lens fit/work with it

Please Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Sep 2013 - 7:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122309 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 7:47 PM

Short answer...yes. Any lens designed for APS-C sized cameras will fit the D3200.

graceland
12 Sep 2013 - 7:55 PM

thank you Gaucho !
Smile

ChrisV
ChrisV  7820 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 10:57 PM

Quote: Short answer...yes. Any lens designed for APS-C sized cameras will fit the D3200.

Unfortunately that's not strictly true. The D3200 AFAIK doesn't have an in-built focus screw, so if you want AF from a lens, you need to ensure it has its own focus motor in the lens.

I can't for some reason get the specs up from the Tamron site on this particular lens - I'd advise you to check it as some of the cheaper lenses do lack a motor. I'm guessing this probably has one, but in your shoes I'd make sure before ordering.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7820 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2013 - 11:10 PM

Edit: the specs have come up and there are two versions of this lens - A14N & A14NII - you need the latter of these two, which does have a motor - the other version will mount, but only work in manual focus.

shenkophoto
13 Sep 2013 - 1:56 PM

Thanks for the information Gaucho.

graceland
13 Sep 2013 - 2:35 PM

Smile thank you loads !!

graceland
13 Sep 2013 - 2:50 PM

What a decision !!! If you get the Camera above with the standard lens

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3200-Digital-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B007VBGTX8/ref=sr_...

or Body only with a stronger lens

But don't want to go up too much more in price ????

graceland
13 Sep 2013 - 5:59 PM

GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Sep 2013 - 11:05 AM

body plus nikon 18-105

Steppenwolf
17 Sep 2013 - 1:37 PM

The trouble with getting an APS-C DSLR like the Nikon and a cheap 10X zoom lens is that you almost get the worst of all worlds. The camera's big and heavy - and the lens is too - yet you're not going to get great quality pictures because the lens is a compromise. So you're carrying around a bulky bit of kit and not getting much reward.

If you want an interchangeable lens camera but you also want an "all-purpose" lens it makes sense to go with a smaller format than APS-C. Have you looked at the Panasonic m4/3 range? You can get the same lens range in a much smaller package without compromising image quality.

MichaelMelb_AU
17 Sep 2013 - 2:00 PM

Let me tempt you a bit. Canon DSLRs do not have any trouble with focusing any lens - for atavistic in-camera screw drive is not met in these cameras. Any APS-c will work with any of EF or EF-s lens made by Canon, and any digital era EF or EF-s lens made by any other company.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 17 Sep 2013 - 2:01 PM
Steppenwolf
17 Sep 2013 - 2:21 PM

Quote: Let me tempt you a bit. Canon DSLRs do not have any trouble with focusing any lens - for atavistic in-camera screw drive is not met in these cameras. Any APS-c will work with any of EF or EF-s lens made by Canon, and any digital era EF or EF-s lens made by any other company.

Translation (I think): Canon DSLRs work with those nasty screw-drive lenses - unlike entry-level Nikons.

Er, I'd still go with Nikon, thanks.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.