Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

HELP with this sort of lighting set up??

TSM e2
4 7
4 Sep 2011 9:32PM
4cdb33a40a97e.jpg

4cdb335959dc5.jpg

I have a photoshoot for a lookbook coming up, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out lighting-wise. We have a studio booked with the following equipment:

2 x 250 watts Elinchrom EL Flash Heads
1 x 500 watts Elinchrom EL Flash Head
1x Nikon SB600
1x Nikon SB25
1x 70cm Elinchrom 70cm Beauty Dish
1x 140 cm Photoflex Shootthrough and White Bounce Umbrella
1x Large 80cm x 110cm Softbox
2x 90 cm White Umbrellas
1x 90cm Shootthrough and Silver Bounce Umbrella
2x Small silver bounce Umbrellas
1x Westcott Scrim Jim 72in x 72in with diffusion panel
1x Innovatronix Explorer XT SE(Portable power for studio flashes)
1x 15cm honeycomb grid and gels for Elinchrom lights and strobe
x2 LargePoly two toned sheets
1x large 5 in 1 reflector
1x medium 6 in 1 reflector
2x Nikon D70
Tehtered shooting for Nikon using Capture NX2 and Camera control pro
Adobe CS4 for reviewing
Manfrotto Tripod
x3 Large free standing Black flags
x1 Large medium Grey Muslin Backdrop
Bespoke backgrounds

BASICALLY, I'm looking to create the sort of lighting used in the above images. I really like the whole softness yet defined feel. The shoot will be very doll-like, styling wise and expressions. I am looking for a real desaturated look, so that the product (headbands) will stand out. We are hiring models with vivid-coloured hair to make the image pop.

A bit like the following image:
6a00e554e5232c88340120a670b990970c-320wi.jpg

I'm not brilliant on the technical side of fashion photography, which is why I'm asking. Still learning!

Any advice and tips will be muuuuuuuuch appreciated Smile

Thanks!

xxxxxx

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
4 Sep 2011 10:04PM
I`m confused, did you say that your putting together some kind of book, but you don`t understand lighting.

Might be best to learn to crawl first.
TSM e2
4 7
4 Sep 2011 10:11PM
I understand lighting. I'm just not used to studio shoots. I prefer natural light. Just want some advice.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2011 10:38PM
With all due respect Natasha, if you understood lighting, you wouldn't be asking for what is a complex response about lighting.
The images you wish to recreate rely on significant post production - it would be a challenge to light a face as pale as this without burning out the detail in the hair and the jacket.
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2011 10:56PM

Quote:I understand lighting. I'm just not used to studio shoots. I prefer natural light. Just want some advice.

Keep it simple, and build on your knowldege of natural light. Use the largest softbox you can, and treat it as the main light (the sun). Position the model close to the background and the main light as close as you can to the model. Postion the main light to get the effect that you want, and use reflectors to reduce shadows in the same way as you would bounce natural light. By using a large softbox and placing it close to the model the quality of light will be soft, and wrap round the model. Just think of it as window light. Hope it helps.
porter e2
3 2
7 Sep 2011 3:14PM
first, the lighting ratio of left and right side of model's face must be even. so you'd rather use high powered light and large reflector as backdrop must be as bright as model's face. The key factor is lighting is hard and even.
miked70 e2
5 225 3 South Africa
8 Sep 2011 5:33AM
simple one large light source about 1.7m as close as you can get it and still take the shot seeing you have elli lights the octa would do it

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.