Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Helping a muppet remove malware

Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
24 Mar 2013 9:20AM
Would some kind person please help this daft idiot who has inadvertently installed malware called "Mixi-Dj" on his PC. It's a nasty bit of stuff that hijacks your browser and does all sorts of other evil tracking stuff.

I have exhausted my knowledge / ideas. Solutions via Google have proved ineffective - I've tried 5 or 6 and none work - they mostly seem very old.

It does not appear in the list of programs so can't be deleted via normal uninstall (no surprise there).
It does not appear in the list of extensions in Google Chrome so can't be deleted
It was in the list of search engines I found in "Manage Search Engines" and has been deleted but still appears.
I have re-set Chrome and it re-appears.
I re-installed Chrome and it re-appears
AVG can't find it
AdAware can't find it
Advanced System Care can't find it
It has also hi-jacked IE

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ewan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Kurt42 e2
11 1.2k 1 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2013 9:27AM
LesJD 2 152 Wales
24 Mar 2013 9:29AM
Try down loading Malwarebytes from a clean computer and install and run on yours. If it's a rootkit problem try this,you don't need to have Kaspersky AV installed to use it.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

Regards, Kermit
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
24 Mar 2013 9:30AM
Download this free programme and run it regularly. Does the job.
Hope that gets rid of it for you.

Malc
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
24 Mar 2013 9:39AM
Hi I like how all us Scots like tae take the piss oot ourselves Smile I had the same years ago with a Roxio bit o software my daughter uploaded twas a nightmare ..................... good luck Ewan Wink

Rod
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2013 9:43AM
Malwarebytes is very good, you can also go to their homepage, search their forums & there will hopefully be a solution, with step by step guides to remove the problem.
24 Mar 2013 9:50AM
Thanks for all of this brilliant help. I'll go through them all.

I should have said I have also tried a system restore but something is preventing it from completing.

Thanks so much I'll let you know how I get on.

Ewan
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
24 Mar 2013 10:03AM

Quote:It does not appear in the list of programs so can't be deleted via normal uninstall

Check this out It is from Microsoft and when we used this a while back, It was the only program that actually did the job, Perfectly....Wink

Quote: but something is preventing it from completing.

That will be the " Malware " the first two things bitching malware does is (1) Disable or By-Pass security, (2) Disables the ability to use " System Restore " .....For obvious reasons...Sad

Malware that behaves this way is without doubt one of the worst, Reason is simple enough in that it usually spells a " Criminal " element is behind the code construction & implementation.

If for some reason your attempts to eradicate this particular malware fail, The only real solution for peace of mind is a " Full Reformat " of the hard drive, Then re-install everything fresh.

? Have you created an " System Image " back-up..? recently, If not its a full re-install from scratch I'm afraid.....
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2013 10:13AM
Give this a go from Norton . Its very good at removing anything "virus" Its called the Norton power eraser. Its free and anyone can download it, which I suggest you do, as you might not be aware you have a problem yourselves.
24 Mar 2013 10:18AM
Just a wee update.

@KurtSkeels. I tried this site last night. It identified various bits of malware for free. It then wanted to charge me about 30 to remove them. I wasn't sure if it had identified what I wanted to remove so I haven't used it.

@ Saltireblue and whipspeed. I've just downloaded Malwarebytes. After scanning it detected no threats on my PC.

I will work through some of the other suggestions before resorting to my tried and tested failsafe option:- drive to a place called Leaderfoot where there is a Victorian viaduct which runs about 150 feet above the River Tweed. I shall take my PC up to the top and hurl it into the river. That should do it.Wink
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
24 Mar 2013 10:22AM
You could also try ccleaner. It can sometimes pick up stuff that Malwarebytes doesn't.
Kurt42 e2
11 1.2k 1 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2013 10:24AM

Quote:Just a wee update.

@KurtSkeels. I tried this site last night. It identified various bits of malware for free. It then wanted to charge me about 30 to remove them. I wasn't sure if it had identified what I wanted to remove so I haven't used it.

If you go to the link you will see a step by step method to remove mixi-dj which is not malware but a toolbar for sharing stuff. It is usually installed with other programs when the user does not look carefully at what is being installed.
24 Mar 2013 10:29AM
Another update.

Thanks for the suggestion LesJD. I tried the Kaspersky link and it too found no threats on my PC. It's a right ba**ard, this one.

I'll keep trying all the options you have suggested.

Thanks again.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
24 Mar 2013 10:33AM

Quote:You could also try ccleaner. It can sometimes pick up stuff that Malwarebytes doesn't.

+1.

I run a combination of SpyBot Search & Destroy, CCleaner and Malwarebytes, and touch wood, have never been infected.

Malc
24 Mar 2013 10:35AM
@ KurtSkeels. Yes I tried all of that and none of it works.

@ cameracat. Microsoft Fixit didn't work either, I'm afraid

I feel a full reformat of the hard drive coming on.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.