Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Helping a muppet remove malware

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LesJD
LesJD  2146 forum posts Wales
24 Mar 2013 - 10:43 AM

Quote: Another update.

Thanks for the suggestion LesJD. I tried the Kaspersky link and it too found no threats on my PC. It's a right ba**ard, this one.

I'll keep trying all the options you have suggested.

Thanks again.

Your welcome,have you tried re- booting in safe mode and running your AV from there ?

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Mar 2013 - 10:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 11:15 AM

@ puertouk. Sorry that didn't work either.

@ LesJD. I tried that last night with no success.

I am at the stage where I think a full reformat is the best route. It probably wouldn't do any harm to have a good clear out and get rid of some of the crap on my HDD.

I may be gone for some time .

It was really kind of you all to take the time to help. I really do appreciate it.

Have a nice Sunday.

Ewan

Ewanneil
24 Mar 2013 - 12:49 PM

F**k what a hassle. I've just done a complete windows re-install only to discover it is still there.

However, I think I may be getting nearer to discovering how this Mixa Dj thing is working. It has attached itself to my Gmail account within Chrome.

When I accessed my gmail account in IE it worked fine. I thought I'd cracked it. I installed Chrome and there it was again.

I'll get this thing if it's the last thing I ever do.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 2:23 PM

Have you tried right clicking in the search bar in chrome, going to edit search engines & then deleting the Mixa DJ? I think this was the final thing my son did for me when everything else had been removed. It seemed to be the last piece of the puzzle.

Ewanneil
24 Mar 2013 - 2:32 PM

I'll give it a try whipspeed. My PC is a bit slow at the moment downloading the inevitable updates required after a re-install. I'll get back to you. Thanks for the suggestion.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 2:50 PM

No problem, I had something similar a couple of days before Xmas & although everything was cleaned, it kept coming up as home page on Chrome, but think that cleared it. Good luck Smile

Ewanneil
24 Mar 2013 - 3:24 PM

Hi whipspeed. I've just tried your suggestion and it opened up an option I've already tried, although accessed via a different route. Despite removing it as a search engine it still appears and hi-jacks Chrome.

Thanks for your help, though.

Ewan

whipspeed
24 Mar 2013 - 3:29 PM

I will email my lad, he did it for me, so will check that was the route to do it.

whipspeed
24 Mar 2013 - 3:35 PM

Ok, he says go into the menu on the top right & then go into manage search engines. That is if you've not tried that one as well.

Have you tried searching the malwarebytes forum as well for Mixa DJ? If not try that as that is how I cured mine, the search engine was just the final piece of the puzzle.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 24 Mar 2013 - 3:40 PM
whipspeed
24 Mar 2013 - 3:47 PM

Here we go, someone on there has had it and there is a list of things to go through to remove it.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=124069&st=0&p=659213&...

You don't need to look at all the list bits from other peoples computers, but just follow what the forum poster MrCharlie is posting, in the same order, you will have to download a few programmes & it will take a while, but should work. It seems similar to the one I had & what they said worked.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Ewanneil
24 Mar 2013 - 4:17 PM

Hi whipspeed. Thanks so much for all your efforts.

I'll go through the instructions in your later post and see if that helps. I've done the Manage Search Engines bit but no with joy. Also, I've been on so many forums that my head is buzzing. I ain't giving up though.

Thanks again.

Ewan

whipspeed
24 Mar 2013 - 4:19 PM

Well, hope it helps Ewan, I know exactly how you must feel after being through it myself Good luck Smile

Ewanneil
24 Mar 2013 - 5:29 PM

Wow, that's complicated. I'm going to get a mate in to help so that the hole I've dug myself into doesn't get any deeper. I trust him completely and probably (no definitely) should have got him to help earlier.

Once more, thanks to you all for the help. What a great community epz is!

Jestertheclown
24 Mar 2013 - 5:33 PM

I too was gifted an unwanted search engine/toolbar (which remained hidden)' last Friday; something called 'Delta Search.' That took over Chrome and Firefox (I don't know about IE, I didn't bother to look).
It didn't show up anywhere or as anything except in the list of search engines and removing it made no difference.
Finally, I used 'Revo Uninstaller.' It showed up on its list and was dispatched in no time.
Just a thought.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 24 Mar 2013 - 5:33 PM
whipspeed
24 Mar 2013 - 5:39 PM

The instructions do look complicated, my hubby & son were helping me as they are both very computer savvy, so if you've got a mate that can help now it should be fine.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.