Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Helping a muppet remove malware

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 7:57 PM

As in restore, I mean starting from scratch with a fresh operating system, it only take ten to fifteen minutes, then a couple of hours of updates, reloading all your programs, re calibrating your screen etc.

You can`t have done a full restore, if you had you would not be getting the continuing problems.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Mar 2013 - 8:00 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Mar 2013 - 7:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 8:13 PM

I did do a full restore, I promise. A full OS re-install (which actually took well over an hour) followed by a re-install of Chrome. I opened up Chrome; signed into my account; closed Chrome again; re-opened it and there was the hi-jacked tab all over again.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Mar 2013 - 8:14 PM

Quote: I actually did a full restore yesterday and the minute I opened Chrome it came back

Simple, reload your operating system but this time don`t reload the chrome software, don`t use it at all.

Also contact chrome to get your account deleted, then open a new account.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Mar 2013 - 8:18 PM
Ewanneil
25 Mar 2013 - 8:19 PM

Well I don't like IE very much; I can't stand Safari; I've never really got on with Firefox and I actually really like Chrome so, I would like to continue using it. If I had to I would use IE but I am hoping my computer techy pal will get me sorted tomorrow.

Edit: re the last two bits. Yes, that is what I was planning to do but I have such a lot bound up with my current account (various Google "Products", as they call them) that I want to think about what changing my account will mean.

Last Modified By Ewanneil at 25 Mar 2013 - 8:21 PM
Paul Morgan
25 Mar 2013 - 8:24 PM

Looks like this nasty is re infecting your system off line then, reloading your system then signing back in just re infects you.

I`d be speaking to chrome, looks like your account has been hijacked.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Mar 2013 - 8:26 PM
Ewanneil
25 Mar 2013 - 8:32 PM

Quote: looks like your account has been hijacked.

That's what I suspect has happened but I'm not savvy enough to work out if that is actually the case so I'll speak to my mate about it.

Paul, thanks for taking the time to give me your views and comments. They have helped me a great deal.

Ewan

Ewanneil
26 Mar 2013 - 5:06 PM

Just a final thank-you to all those who offered me help in getting rid of MixiDj malware from my PC.

I am now free of it, thankfully. I wish I could tell you what my friend did to remove it but his explanation baffled me.

Anyway, please learn from me and be careful what you download and how you do it.

Thanks again.

Ewan

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2013 - 5:09 PM

Excellent, glad you got rid of it in the end.

Sarah

Ewanneil
26 Mar 2013 - 8:35 PM

Thanks for your help Sarah.

Ewan

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.