Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Herb Gardening Help Please!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RachelMB
    RachelMB  842 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 3:54 PM

Hi Smile A few weeks ago I bought the Unwins Mediterranean Herb Window Box. I planted it all up as per the instructions - put the supplied soil into the pots, sprinkled on the seeds and covered with a bit more soil. I watered before putting the seeds in to ensure that they weren't all swept into one corner, but didn't firm the soil down at all because I read that herbs like loose soil. The only thing I did differently was the basil - I planted it in toilet roll tubes (but in the same way) because they're going into a hanging basket, I used the extra window pot for chive seeds.

Since then, the chives have been doing really well and the parsley has grown nicely, but I've had nothing and almost nothing from the oregano and marjoram. The basil's only sent up two shoots so far, but nothing from the third tube. The marjoram has sent up a widdy little green fleck, but it's not really doing anything. (It's also only a couple of mm high, and it's the only shoot in the pot - it doesn't seem to be getting any taller)

Have I done something wrong? I've read that oregano is hard to grow from seed and that you should sprinkle it on the surface rather than cover it over, but the box didn't tell me that! I know it's only been a few weeks and the sun hasn't been out a lot, but I was expecting something to happen after a month. Maybe I'm being too impatient? Everything I look at through google says that germination should take a couple of weeks.

I water everything sparingly, in the morning ever other day or so (whenever they start to look dry), and it all gets the same light. It's on a windowsill which gets direct sun (when it's out) throughout the morning. And my tomato plant, sweet peas and chillis all seem to be doing fine.

Gardening is hard...Tongue Any advice appreciated!

(Top: window box, Bottom Left: marjoram, Bottom right: Basil)
    epz.jpgepz2.jpgepz3.jpg

Last Modified By RachelMB at 14 Apr 2013 - 3:55 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Apr 2013 - 3:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RachelMB
    14 Apr 2013 - 3:56 PM

Also, I have no idea if I should have been thinning stuff out or not...

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84255 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 4:54 PM

Stop kissing and hugging them!!!! Tongue

(Good macros by the way! Wink)

Last Modified By KarenFB at 14 Apr 2013 - 4:54 PM
    vickyf
    vickyf e2 Member 8vickyf vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 4:57 PM

I think patience is the answer, although I must admit that I have never succeeded with either basil or oregano. Basil and oregano need hot, humid conditions and, although all herbs should be sown in Spring, we haven't really had one. Make sure your plants are on a south facing window sill. With basil, as and when it appears, pinch out the leaves and mist the leaves regularly with room temperature water. I think you'll find that the problem is there has not been enough sun or warmth. Wait until the roots fill the container before thinning out. Hope this helps. Good luck Smile

RachelMB
    14 Apr 2013 - 8:59 PM

I'm not that bad, I just stare at them a lot.....Wink

Thanks Vicky. I did wonder how the different herbs were meant to grow considering they all seem to need different conditions. Does this mean they're not going to die just because they haven't popped out yet? I was worried they'd rot away or something before they had a chance to sprout.

rambler
    rambler e2 Member 5466 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 10:12 PM

One of the important things with seeds is not to over water them, and that also applies to the young plants as that will encourage rotting.
    Plant roots need oxygen as well as moisture and it looks as though your compost is too wet. Different plant seeds germinate at different speeds so be patient.

When you do transplant hold the seedling by the leaves and not the stem as it is delicate and easily damaged, with the chives hold them by the tips of the plant.

Ken

RachelMB
    15 Apr 2013 - 7:08 PM

Thanks Ken Smile I'll keep that in mind!

Last Modified By RachelMB at 15 Apr 2013 - 7:08 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.