Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Here's a poser

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 7:25 PM

What causes you to have a crisis of confidence with regard to your photography.

I ask this after a number of discussions with various individuals over the last month or so.

From my analysis of the people I have spoken to I break it down into the following:

On ePZ:
Failure to gain an EC, HC or RC for an upload
Seeing others gain more votes for images you feel are less good than your own
Reading of others having "sales" success
Not getting enough or appropriate feedback on your uploads

Off ePZ:
Perceiving that someone elses camera equipment is producing better results than your own
Believing that a new lens or an extra couple of megapixels will make a tremendous improvement to your work
Seeing others having "success" - in whatever form you want to quantify this

There are others, but I'm curious how people get themselves out of this belief.

I'm truly amazed by some of the people that I have had these conversations with - in one instance I would almost kill to be able to take images half as good as theirs.

So I figure there must be some internal mechanism that causes this strife, but maybe we can come up with some strategies to move forward and regain that confidence.

Now I am normally an absolute perfectionist, and I suspect that this desire to continually improve the quality of your work may be at the heart, but interested in the opinions of others Smile

Last Modified By csurry at 27 Mar 2008 - 7:26 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Mar 2008 - 7:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 7:28 PM

Quote: I suspect that this desire to continually improve the quality of your work may be at the heart

I'm with you there, but otherwise I have no comment! Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 7:31 PM

Crisis of Confidence:

1. When I feel my photography isn't going anywhere.
2. When I see others are improving so much faster than I do.
3. When others keep getting clicks from Pete and I have only 1 for every 10-20.
4. When I see others have lots of new creative ideas and I have none.

Now, I feel totally naked and exposed...Smile

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 27 Mar 2008 - 7:32 PM
csurry
27 Mar 2008 - 7:37 PM

Hah, hah you two.

What are you strategies for fixing it, apart from PM'ing people?

EDWARDPARRISH
27 Mar 2008 - 7:40 PM

I soppose its human nature to have confidence crisis at times...
I think the most common with wildlife subjects is sitting in a cold wood etc all day taking what you think are good useable shots then getting home and finding they arent..... this then leads to the process of trying to convince yourself that practice and patiance will pay off and you are not a total muppet. As far as equipment is concerned then theres the old saying that its only as good as the person using it which can make you feel even worse!
My only suggestion to anyone feeling this way is to get the opinions of someone they can trust and that will tell them the truth about their work. Not to give up and accept that not all sessions lead to the perfect shot but with time and effort it should come. But i do agree it is the in built desire to constantly better ourselves that is at the root of it all.
Then again there is the argument that most of us do this as a hobby or for out of work stress relief time so should we realy get our selves wound up about it in the first place!!!!!

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 7:44 PM

Quote: What are you strategies for fixing it

I clutch at every straw, i.e. any indication that someone somewhere thinks I'm good. Smile

csurry
27 Mar 2008 - 7:46 PM

Quote: Not to give up and accept that not all sessions lead to the perfect shot but with time and effort it should come

See that's a good one.

Any failure is just a learning opportunity - I certainly have some like that from Scotland, particularly when I was shooting and the tripod was on the soft heather covered ground - lesson: Make sure tripod is WELL pushed down for a solid base - else dump a 100 photos.

EDWARDPARRISH
27 Mar 2008 - 7:50 PM

Its the same as everything its a learning curve . It all takes time and it doesnt matter how long youve been doing it you can still learn something. Anybody that says they know it all is usually lying in whatever subject. Finding a group of people that are willing to learn and fail together usually helps too!!! ( hope none of my freinds read this) Makes you realise your not the only person ever to make the mistake...

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 7:53 PM

Quote:
What are you strategies for fixing it, apart from PM'ing people?

Don't know, I am still down....Sad

User_Removed
27 Mar 2008 - 7:56 PM

I think it is, trying to get a EC, HC, or even a RC, when I should be just trying to get a good image for me. Spending hours looking at my images on my comptuer, thinking thats not good enough, nor's that one or that one, then a friend coming in saying look at those great images you have. I think we all have confidence problems, makes us take better images (I hope Smile)

Mark

csurry
27 Mar 2008 - 7:56 PM

Quote: Don't know, I am still down....

Try the Samaritans as that's no help to others Tongue

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
27 Mar 2008 - 7:58 PM

Quote: Failure to gain an EC, HC or RC for an upload
Seeing others gain more votes for images you feel are less good than your own
Reading of others having "sales" success
Not getting enough or appropriate feedback on your uploads

1. Nope, been here long enough to know that all these awards are biased
2. Nope. You can always get more votes by being more active commenting in the gallery. I just don't have the time.
3. Nope. Never tried to sell my work so had zero failures Smile
4. Nope. All my uploads got quite a few.

My problem came when I reviewed the complete inconsistency in my work and realised that my successes were more or less luck rather than skill. This caused me to delete my entire portfolio (apart from one) and try and find my own style. I am still searching in vain....

Sad

csurry
27 Mar 2008 - 8:01 PM

Quote: You can always get more votes by being more active commenting in the gallery. I just don't have the time.

Did suggest that to one person, they did, but now not happy as they realise that gained this way they mean nothing.

Though I would say clicking and commenting positively only Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 8:06 PM

I'm surprised that "seeing others shoot a location/subject much better than you are able" isn't on the list.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 8:07 PM

In my case it's being unable to view one of my shots objectively. I know it too well and obviously think some are good - otherwise I wouldn't upload them for the world to see - but then I see other peoples shots and wonder where I'm going wrong. Realistically I know I'm not going wrong - well I think I'm not going wrong - see - there's that self-doubt again Smile

Doesn't stop me enjoying causing grief and pain to any flower I can get my mitts on though Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.