Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Hi! Eager and willing to learn but how????

c7fnt 2 24 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 8:01PM
Hi Guys

My name is Chris and I'm a Teacher from staffordshire.

Had my DSLR now for getting for 5 years and whilst I often turn it from Auto to the pre-set modes I want o get to know how to use S,A and the very scary M mode.

Contemplated books and internet courses but feel I'd learn better having someone there will me to help explain and answer and questions Id have at the time.

Mainly like to shoot Wildlife (mainly birds) and family stuff

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

15 Oct 2012 8:07PM
Hi Chris.
Welcome to epz, its a fabulous place.
I too am mainly into wildlife photography and have found the help from putting photos and questions on here better than any book and everyone is really friendly.
Enjoy Grin

Kathryn
IanBurton 5 71 7 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 8:27PM
Hi Chris,

There is so much to learn in photography and sometimes it can feel overwhelming. The best way is to first become familiar with your camera by reading your manual and getting out with your camera and taking shots. Review your shots, try to be critical and question why things don't work and what you want to achieve. You could always upload your shots to the critique gallery where you will find the biggest help on how to improve.

Structured learning can help, but I have found reading books and magazines have been the biggest help and of course on this website through the techniques and forum pages.

Hope I have helped a little, I look forward to seeing your photos.

Ian
Briwooly 9 452 5 England
15 Oct 2012 8:56PM
Hi Chris I've had my camera 6 years and the only advice I can give you is to get out there experiment if you get a 100 failures and 1 right it does not matter, join a club or find someone local talk read watch but keep hammering away it will all start to drop into place but most of all enjoy.

Brian..................
glennk68 4 10
15 Oct 2012 9:15PM
I woke up one morning and promised myself that I would never turn my camera to Auto again. The beauty of digital is it only costs time to learn.
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 9:15PM
Hi Chris, start with A mode, read a book and set the same shot to 4 different values from max aperture to min aperture - describe what happens to the not in focus areas - that's where i started.
Jonnymyles 2 57 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 9:41PM
start Here and keep watching! best videos i have ever seen.
Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 9:53PM
Hi Chris,

Best to join one of the many epz clique clubs. Its quite easy if you hover over the same names in the readers choice gallery. Just pick a really crap image and say how wonderful it is and before long , you will have all the encouragement you need to become a really good photographer.

They especially like birds on sticks, family photographs and telling people about their hernias and other sov stories.

Look forward to your upload Smile
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
15 Oct 2012 10:09PM
Yep. That's the way forward!
timbo 12 591 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 9:30AM
Taking the plunge to M mode shouldn't be as scary these days as it was when i started taking photos. With digital you can see the results straight away and for free. I learned on film with manual only cameras so the price of making mistakes was high. You will find that using manual mode will improve your picture taking, at least from a technical point of view.
Shoot, shoot, shoot! Look at the results and shoot some more.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
16 Oct 2012 9:44AM
A more serious reply to your question than my last one:
Someone once posed the same question on here and got the answer, although not from me, that you should "stick it on manual and leave it there."
Read up, there's plenty of info. on the net, on how ISO, shutter speed and aperture relate to one another.
With only a little understanding and quite a lot of practice, the penny will very quickly drop and you'll be wondering why you didn't do it years ago.
This goes a long way to explaining how it works.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 3:37PM
for me the best way would be to join a friendly camera club. ours have regular outings, new members are helped as much as possible. lots of people to ask.

also the judges comments help along the way on competition nights and then there are the lectures and practical evenings.

you can read as much as you want but its always easier if someone gives you little pointers along the way.

face to face with someone helpful, in the field you could grasp manual, tv and av in less than an hour

the photoshop takes a lot longer

Phil
c7fnt 2 24 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 7:47PM
Thanks Phil,

Where could I find out if I have a camera club local to me?
ether 3 20 England
16 Oct 2012 8:38PM
Just Google it you will be surprised how many there are
also I found the short courses run by the Royal Photographic Society very good.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 9:46PM
[link=]http://sinwp.com/camera_clubs/Staffordshire.htm[/link] you could try here, list all federation clubs in the uk

Phil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.