Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Hi

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 3:11PM

Quote:Why?

Have you ever done product images, nah i didn't think so. Do you know how long this took to edit in photoshop - 2 HOURS BY THE WAY and I am good with photoshop! My rate of pay is usually above 50/hour so that actually worked out at 33/h so that is pretty bad for me. ANYWAY it sounds like you are jealous.

2hours seems excessive to me - you must have needed a lot of work to spend that time in which case I can see that (a) your workflow will speed up as you become used to the processing techniques or (b) your original shoot was so far off the mark that it is your photography that needs to improve, not your processing.
Either way your shoot-to-output time will droponce you become used to the workflow and you need to allow for that in your costing because otherwise you will be a very high price compared to the competition and get very little business. This means less profit now but more business in the future.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett 4 372 England
15 Jan 2013 3:45PM
Thank god I've retired form this photography game, 50 per hour is that all it pays these days?

Not worth getting out of bed for!

Sorry not being ignorant, must dash the Ferrari is being delivered back after a serviceTongue
Jamsplash 1 5
15 Jan 2013 4:04PM

Quote:Thank god I've retired form this photography game, 50 per hour is that all it pays these days?

Not worth getting out of bed for!

Sorry not being ignorant, must dash the Ferrari is being delivered back after a serviceTongue

That's my point though to compete with the best I would need to work for 6 per hour which is below minimum wage. My original idea was just to get some opinons on the actual photography of the product.

1) To see if I was getting the original image correctly (this is what I lack I think)
- product placement
- detail caught
- brightness of photo studio
- etc

2) To see if I done the photoshop on it correctly
- shadow effect (used the erazer tool as an airbrush with a fade in transparency)
- contrast resolution (for optimum colour display for users)
- used the magnetic lasso tool to do bulky cut for white background
- used the pen tool to smooth out any edges (while zoomed directly in to px by px)

I'll read a bit more about the whole thing and if I can't shorten my total time to about an hour per product I will post here and many other places to see if anyone has some good ideas.

Edit: ps I don't have a ferrari. I just have a lambo Sad

Not really, I am a financial analyst by trade but I really didn't enjoy my job and would like to do something else full time while still making a REASONABLE amount of money for my time.
ikett 4 372 England
15 Jan 2013 4:39PM
Now trying to be serious, as mikehit said,
Quote:your photography that needs to improve, not your processing

This includes more than just camera settings, lighting and staging play the most vital roles. PS is a tool designed for graphic designers, some amazing stuff for photographers!
My worry is you don't seem to be a photographer you seem more concerned about processing, shoot it right it will be right.

Edit: Only joking about the Ferrari I only have a Jag.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.