Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hi all. Abby from midland UK

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mmmmmmmmmmm
18 Feb 2009 - 10:16 PM

Hi all
i am new here but have played with photography on and off for years, I did used to have a dark room about 10yrs ago so also played with developing my own pics.

So just starting to get back into it and hope to get more into it again so here I am right then. I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ7 I know it’s not a DLSR but I think its some where in between a compact and a dlsr, there’s no pint in having a rolls Royce if you can not drive it lol.

I have taken some pics on different f.stops and shutter speeds to see what differences is, as I say not used a camera properly for about 9yrs so been to have them printed off to day to see how they come out.

I had some done at different sizes to see what the best size would be to have them done at with the settings I took them on, and this is where I need help as the ones I had done at 9” x 6” there is some of the pic missing from the top and bottom ,
The ones I had done at 10” x 8” has some of the sides cut off but the top and bottom is ok,
The one at 11” x 8” as just a bit of the top and bottom cut off , so can some one please help me as I don’t know what size to have them so I don’t lose any of the pic

The settings I took them at was
Aspect ratio 4.3
Pic size 6M pixels 2816 x 2112
And also what largest size could I have them printed with out losing any quality

Thanks abby xx

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Feb 2009 - 10:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GreyMoonRising
18 Feb 2009 - 10:25 PM

Hello, I have no idea about any of the questions you asked to be honest but someone in the know will give you loads of info pretty soon.

Peter

Last Modified By GreyMoonRising at 18 Feb 2009 - 10:30 PM
stevekhart
18 Feb 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hi Abby - nice to meet a namesame!

4:3 aspect ratio is great for viewing on a tv but does not fit most standard photo sizes without some cropping. An 8"x6" is a 4:3 ratio so no cropping on that, the next best size is a 12"x8" where you lose just 1" on the width.

If we assume 300dpi as "best quality" for printing, you'll find that your 6M image would print a 9"x7" at 300dpi, or at 200dpi (still good quality) you could go up to 14"x10". HTH, look forward to seeing your pics.

GreyMoonRising
18 Feb 2009 - 10:37 PM

See!!!

stevekhart
18 Feb 2009 - 10:39 PM

Yeah but I've been on the whisky so my maths is probably all wrong! Wink

mmmmmmmmmmm
18 Feb 2009 - 11:08 PM

hi Peter
thanks and yes your right about some one coming along soon with a reply

hi steveHART
thanks for the reply, i was thinking it was somting to do with the aspect ratio but was not sure, so losing a bit of the pic is something i need to remember when taking pics

thanks for the info so now i know what size to go up to i will get a few printed off to see what they look like

i have just posted a pic of a rose that i had printed its nothing special but please have a look and see what you think
thanks again abby xx

strokebloke
19 Feb 2009 - 1:19 AM

Hello Abby. A very warm welcome.
It's a good site. Lots of great folks. Many are very knowledgeable & helpful. A surprisingly large number are immensely patient and gracious. Some have a facetious streak. One or two are just plain rude Grin But everyone seems to enjoy each others company. So stick around & get stuck in.
I like your rose, by the way.

Regards,
Jack

Matilda_Green
19 Feb 2009 - 3:23 AM

hi abby - welcome welcome!

I learnt the hard way about forum meanies but stick around and all the really nice ones will come out and introduce themselves like caraboss and stray cat Smile

have fun!

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 8:44 AM

Quote: so losing a bit of the pic is something i need to remember when taking pics

Absolutely. Firstly your viewfinder is unlikely to show 100% of what you see. Secondly leave some room for different aspect ratios.

john64
john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
19 Feb 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hi Abby, welcome to EPZ, nice to see another Midlander on board.
John

mmmmmmmmmmm
20 Feb 2009 - 12:24 AM

hi all and thanks for the welcome to the site.

and thanks for the warning about the meanies, and i will stick around here as it looks a good place to be.
and thanks for the tips once i have had a look around i will be asking a few more questions
i gald you like my rose and have post one in b/w with red roses check it out see what you think playing with photoshop still new to it
hi john i see your a baggies fan lol
thanks agin for the wecolme
abby xx

john64
john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
20 Feb 2009 - 12:53 PM

Quote: i see your a baggies fan

Ouch. Although I have been called worse.
At least you didn't mention 'The Great Unwashed from Aston'.

snailtoto
snailtoto  7 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2009 - 9:24 PM

Hello Abby
This is actually my first post to this site and I hope I don't come across as a smart a**e. I think the best answer to your question about image ratio is to get hold of an image editor. There are freebies on the internet such as GIMP. Then simply download your jpegs open them with the image editor and use the crop tool set to whatever size print you want. This way you can see exactly how your prints will turn out.
PS hello everybody Smile

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2009 - 10:22 AM

Quote: I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ7

Hi Abby. I'm also a FZ7 owner and originally from `The Midlands'. The FZ7 is great for `macro work' but seems to suffer from a lot of `noise' at the 12x optical zoom. I now use mostly Aperture or Manual settings but find it useful to shoot the same shot with the auto settings to compare. Welcome on board. I'm sure you'll find that there are lots of helpful people here. Smile

Headless
Headless  5 United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2009 - 11:27 AM

Hi Abby, Im with Peter on this one but welcome.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.