Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hi I'm new here what Dslr?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

leveller
leveller  3
3 Apr 2011 - 5:17 PM

Hello everybodySmile Im new here and would really appriciate as much advice on buying a Dslr as possible.
I live in the north east of england on the edge of the north yorkshire moors not far away from middlesbrough.
Its my birthday soon and Im hoping to have enough money to buy my first dslr. I have been using a fuji finepix f30 for the last 5 years and as it died on me in december I thought its about time to maybe have an upgrade.
Any advice greatly welcomed.
Im guessing that it will be mainly landscapes I'll be capturing but Im sure I'll be trying anything and everything.
Many thanks Colin.Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Apr 2011 - 5:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

leveller
leveller  3
3 Apr 2011 - 5:19 PM

sorry forgot to mention I'll be proberbly buying a second hand set up from ebay....maybe up to 300 max.thanks.

velvetmite
3 Apr 2011 - 5:59 PM

If you're not tied (lens-wise) to any particular brand then you can't go wrong with the Pentax Kx.
If you can stretch to a few more pounds here's a nice red one:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PENTAX-K-X-DIGITAL-SLR-CAMERA-18-55mm-LENS-RED-KX-/300541089856?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item45f9a51840
The Kx's high ISO quality outclasses many other brands at this price level and is a great first DSLR.

Regards,

Michael Smile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
3 Apr 2011 - 7:57 PM

Quote: If you're not tied (lens-wise) to any particular brand then you can't go wrong with the Pentax Kx.

.....except that you then are tied to Pentax. Which may be OK.

Remember that, in the year following your conversion to dSLR, you are likely to spend 10x as much on lenses and accessories as you spent on the original body. That really ties you in to your marque of first choice.

Some of these Pentaxes are good. But, as a long term prospect, I would still be leery about going with anyone other than Nikon or Canon.

DuncanDisorderly

Quote: I have been using a fuji finepix f30 for the last 5 years and as it died on me in december I thought its about time to maybe have an upgrade.

Colin, my Mum uses a Fuji F30 and it's a really good camera.
I've used it myself and been astonished at the quality of the results; see post 70 in this photo diary from Scotland.
She had some A1 sized prints made for an exhibition and they looked great.

My point is....
Don't expect a quantum leap in image quality just by upgrading to an SLR

DSLR's will give you far more versatility and control which is a worthy goal, because when coupled with proper technique you will get significant improvements in image quality - but this takes time to learn.
As long as whatever system you buy into gives you a route into decent glass then the brand is not really that important.
Until recently I've been quite happy using my first DSLR (a 20D) as backup for my 5DII.
Getting the 5DII was an expensive upgrade and merely proved that the weak link was my technique, not the kit.
However, I've come a long way since then and am now confident that using my current lenses and proper technique I can expect significantly better images from the 20D than when it was my main camera.

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
3 Apr 2011 - 8:49 PM

Quote: Remember that, in the year following your conversion to dSLR, you are likely to spend 10x as much on lenses and accessories as you spent on the original body.

Yeah they don't tell you that in the shop Wink

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2011 - 9:29 PM

Quote: If you're not tied (lens-wise) to any particular brand then you can't go wrong with the Pentax Kx.
If you can stretch to a few more pounds here's a nice red one:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PENTAX-K-X-DIGITAL-SLR-CAMERA-18-55mm-LENS-RED-KX-/300541089856?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item45f9a51840
The Kx's high ISO quality outclasses many other brands at this price level and is a great first DSLR.

Probably the only genuinely sensible reply you have had so far....!!!

Today there is no such thing as a bad DSLR, There are plenty of bad photographers though, Who no matter what brand they are holding in their sweaty little paws, Don't have a lot to show for it.......Grin

If your budget is fairly tight around 300 quid or so, The Pentax as suggested by " Velvetmite " will make a superb first DSLR, End of....!!!

Wink

mistresswinckle

I'm a photographer who works on a low budget for my hobby and I'd reccommend a Pentax as there is a large range of accessories including Lenses that fit them. Both Sigma and Tamron produce Pentax Fit Lenses and often you can pick 2nd hand lenses up in any decent camera shop.

Believe me when it comes to your first DSLR purchase there is alot of hype as to which is best.

Both of my camera's come onto the re-enactment battle field with me and do take quite alot of punishment which they deal with admirably.

One thing I would advise though would be to get a decent software programme such as Lightroom3 to handle the RAW files.

Most of all ENJOY what you do. Wink

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 10:35 AM

Quote: One thing I would advise though would be to get a decent software programme such as Lightroom3 to handle the RAW files.

Agree entirely although you end up paying as much for the software for your first camera.

Elements is fine, and cheaper.
The software that comes with Pentax cameras is rather clumsy but suffice to start with.

keithh
keithh  1022791 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 10:56 AM

Agreed - don't go and spend over 200 on software when you've only just bought your first DSLR.

darranl
4 Apr 2011 - 12:45 PM

Colin, Are you a student? If so you may be eligible to purchase Lightroom for under 100

leveller
leveller  3
4 Apr 2011 - 5:01 PM

Many thanks for all the advice you have all given me. Smile
I'm not a student Darran and to be honest with you all I had not even considered software packages at all.

I'm a postie and have been used to getting up around 4am everyday for the last 20 years. I have a springer spaniel that wants to walk and walk and walk even more. I am so lucky where I live 5 mins to the coast and 5 mins to the countryside. So thats what I do when I'm off, go walking and as I'm sure you all know you see some stunning sunrises that change by the second and the beach has always somthing to offer.Sorry I'm going "off on one" here what I was trying to say was that I just share my images with friends and just pop them on flickr and will start posting them on here when I get round to working that out.

I am really enjoying this site and the advice that is coming from all areas is really reassuring. Once again many thanks.Smile

darranl
4 Apr 2011 - 6:00 PM

Maybe just start shooting jpegs and use something like Picasa for basic edits until you are ready to be more involved with the post processing.

Perry_95
Perry_95  359 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 9:29 PM

If you are stuck between two cameras then give http://snapsort.com/compare a whirl Dont always go for what hteir scoring says because somethings may be more important to you than what they say, but i ended up buying a Pentax K-x and it paid for itself in no time because i then won it in a competition, goes to show you dont need an expensive camera. Anyway back to the point, when i was choosing my camera in a similar budget to you, i found the K-x to be the best option, but in the end its all down to what is the most important feature your camera must have. Smile hope this helps

Oh_zone
Oh_zone  4 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2011 - 5:15 PM

I was in Jesops recently and there was a Samsung compact being sold for half price at under 200. It was a 14 mp unit but more importantly its sensor was the same size as the bigger bulky SLR cameras.
It seemed like a good buy to me especially as you enjoy long walks.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.