Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

High end compact

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

distantplanets
9 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi folks,

Paul. Just search for "dust in lens X10" or similar. You'll find plenty of comments.

Steppenwolf. Never thought of a CSC - certainly don't want to to get into changing lenses but, as you say, I may not have to providing standard lens is "long" enough. Though it might be a tad bulky. Will look into it.

Thanks again for all your input.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314952 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Cases of dust a quite rare in camera`s with fixed lenses.

Nerja
Nerja  1
12 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Another vote for the LX5 - superb camera, great lens and small enough to take everywhere with you. It also seems to give the pictures a really warm feel, compared to Canons I have owned in the past.

Largeround
15 May 2013 - 6:12 PM

Interesting reading, I am looking into a good compact to back up my 7d and for use when a large camera can gain lots of attention. I luckily have slightly more to spend (up to 400) but am going crazy reading reviews and trawling auction sites etc. Do they all really have such big positives and negatives that appear in reviews? Honest advice seems the order of the day here G1-x, RX100, LX7 X10 XZ-2 I have considered them all. Don't really want a CSC so any help greatfully received. Thanks Blush

mikehit
mikehit  46180 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2013 - 6:26 PM

All cameras are so good now that reviewers are picking up ever smaller details to show that models are different: yes the differences exist but they can get blown out of all proportion to their real world application.
All those models you describe are very good - the weakest is possibly the Canon G1X but that is based on AF performance rather than picture quality. How small do you want the camera (shirt pocketable? jacket pocket? manbag Smile?) Fixed lens or zoom lens? LCD only or viewfinder? How large will you view the images? I think you need to get to a camera shop with a memory card and try them all.
As for CSC, an Olympus EPM plus pancake is not much bigger than some compacts and you have the option of changing lenses if you want to.

If I was starting from scratch the RX100 would be my benchmark.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314952 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2013 - 8:52 PM

Quote: As for CSC, an Olympus EPM plus pancake is not much bigger than some compacts and you have the option of changing lenses if you want to

Yes CSC`s can be good and just as small fitted with the right lens, but you will loose out when want something with a bit of a zoom, even just 3 or 4 X will be pretty slow.

8535148195-82843ac5f0-z.jpg
Here the GF2 is slightly smaller than the fuji x10, and perfectly fine if your happy living with a fixed focal length pancake lens.

LX7, XZ-2, x10/20 all offer very similar features, close macro focusing, advanced features using flash and so on, then there`s you Canon G series and Nikon compacts but these start becoming more bulky for compacts of similar spec.

JMM
JMM  2 United Kingdom
25 May 2013 - 5:27 AM

You could also have a look at the Canon G15. I have just bought one for 275 and its brilliant. Simple to use, fast lens, both raw and jpeg, nice bright screen and manual controls rather than having to scroll through menus on screen. Altogether a great camera.

deckitout
deckitout  7 England
30 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

I has an Lx3 which I did not get on with, however my LX7 is superb, 1.4 lens, great handing and you have the option of a viewfinder which works a treat in bright light.

Phil

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.