Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

High Humidity

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jonathanbp
    jonathanbp e2 Member 694 forum postsjonathanbp vcard Indonesia
    7 Jun 2010 - 9:18 AM

Hi All,

I'm currently in China and it is both hot and very humid, so much so, walls are wet!

Anyway, I've given up using my UV filter, or any other filter for that matter as it keeps in steaming up...however, I'm not too keen on having an unprotected lens either.

So, consiering my options here and I'm not too sure which will work best and be best for my Canon D50:

1) Leave the camera on my balcony (in the shade) so that it is alays the same temeprature as the outside weather

2) Keep in in my airconditioned room so that it has a chance to dry out, but the cold camera creates condensation instantly.

3) Same as 2 but simply take my camera outside half an hour before I want to use it?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Jun 2010 - 9:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 9:24 AM

3 would be fine.

crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6685 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 10:19 AM

As a frequent visitor to the Far East I would advise that 3 is by far the best solution, allowing the camera to acclimatise to the humidity before trying to use it, although I do recommend that you keep a filter on to protect the lens as normal. Drying the filter off with a lens cloth can speed up the process but you may need to do it two or three times. You can always spend the time looking round to work out what you want to photograph, so it won't be wasted.
    Sandra

jonathanbp
    jonathanbp e2 Member 694 forum postsjonathanbp vcard Indonesia
    7 Jun 2010 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated...so option 3 it is....Jonathan

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 3:56 PM

You might want to give it more than 30 minutes. I had a similar problem in Mexico last year. After approx 15 minutes I noted that the lens appeared ok, but ythe images still looked really misty. It took me a little longer to realise the condensation was on the electronics and the fog was on the sensor...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.