Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

High speed photography

bfgstew 8 668 105 England
22 May 2011 4:06AM
Many years ago I read a book entitled captured in motion, I forget the authors name but it was informative and intriguing, wonderful "in flight" shots of bugs and birds. It has always stuck with me that it would be great to do something along these lines. Well I have become a bit stale with my photography, not many opportunities to get out and about, so have started to investigate the idea further. I came across a web site www.HiViz.com and it has all you need to get this off the ground. A simple trigger unit with timer delays, microphone and optosensor inputs, flash and camera outputs, plus a seperate optotrigger so the camera is current free, plus cables and hotshoe mount, well the upshot is for all this, around 80-90. It all looks so simple and the price is a bargain I think.
Well the point is apart from the trigger kit mentioned above, my kit (D200, Sigma 150 APO Macro lens, SB600 flash and tripod) is anything else needed? I feel the lighting side will be the biggest factor in this, so any hints, tips, advice would be gratefully recieved.
I want to capture, water drops (hopefully as good as Cheryl's), balloon bursts, fruit drops, air pellets hitting objects, bugs and stuff in flight, basically anything that can be done this way.
This project will take time as I need to clear my garage of 10 years of junk, then kit it out with proper electrics, so I can at least make a brew in there, then buy and build the trigger units as it does come in kit form from the States.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
22 May 2011 10:08AM
Stephen Dalton was the author and it was one of the first books of its type.

If I look up to my bookshelf I see it is still there and still as relevant even though it came out in the early 80's
22 May 2011 8:39PM
That's the fella, going to dust it down and have a read tonight, see if I can pick some tips up from it.
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
22 May 2011 11:22PM
You might also want to check out the Stopshot site. Not only some good products (a bit more pricey I think) but also some good guides and links to info dotted around their website.
23 May 2011 9:01AM
Thanks for the link and info Alex, a bit out of my price range but any info on the subject is priceless so once again thank you.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
24 May 2011 4:55AM
John Brackenbury wrote a couple of books I have one I think its called "in the blink of an eye" I'm not at home so can't check.
24 May 2011 10:00AM
Thanks Nick, I remember reading it a while back now, fairly informative.
Its more the set up technicalities and pitfalls I need info on. It is in the early stages of set up so if I can get it right now I don't have to spend much more later on. I have sourced a trigger unit, cables are cheap and easy to get hold of, I think it is mainly the lighting side which is the major concern for me. Will one speed light be enough, do I need more? Do I need studio lights? If so how powerful do they need to be? Are there a set which can cover a wide spectrum of situations? Money is tight so as you can imagine I ould love to get the cheeapest but the most appropriate gear from the offset.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.