Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Highlights?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rinjutsu
    rinjutsu  3
    2 Jan 2011 - 9:22 PM

Hi guys, I just need a little help. I was wondering how to achieve the highlights (especially the green lighting on the grass). I don't know what this is called yet and I believe these are the missing elements of my pictures. Is this accomplished via the shot or via post-processing? Either way can you help me on how to do it? Thanks in advanced.

untitled-picture.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jan 2011 - 9:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown

Hi rinjutsu and welcome to Epz.

To get an answer to your question (and lots of others!) you really need to upload your image to one of the galleries. You could use the main gallery where your image will be seen by lots of people but you almost certainly won't get the answer you're looking for.
    Or, you could post it in the "critique gallery" which is where people post their images when they want advice, help or just a staightforward evaluation of their work. This is where I think you need to be asking this question.
    You'll be made very welcome there and you'll receive lots of honest, worthwhile advice and opinion.
    Good luck!

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 2 Jan 2011 - 9:37 PM
    rinjutsu
    rinjutsu  3
    2 Jan 2011 - 9:40 PM

Below is a sample of my lifeless picture. Thank you.

img-6608p.jpg

rinjutsu
    rinjutsu  3
    2 Jan 2011 - 9:42 PM

Hi Jesterclown,

Thank you for responding. I just forgot to include my own shot. Anyway, above is an picture i took recently.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72142 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jan 2011 - 10:32 PM

The blurred bg highlights are created by using a shallow depth of field. If the foacl distance is very close, and aperture of F8 should provide enough detail in the foreground subject, allowing the bg to be pleasantly out of focus.
    The sun is shining on the bg, creating the light, but this can be recreated using off camera flash and radio triggers if cloudy.

rinjutsu
    rinjutsu  3
    3 Jan 2011 - 2:37 PM

Hi arhb,

Thank for the reply, I appreciate your help. In this case, do you mean that those nice green highlights on the grass can be achieved by native shots without any post-processing? I do understand the depth of field and focal distance and how you would pleasantly allow the bg to be out of focus. What I cannot achieve yet is those nice bright captivating highlights, how some grass has this dark shades while some having bright green lighting. If this is natural light coming from the sun, i seriously do not know how to make parts of the grass dark. I hope I'm making sense. Thank you.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72142 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2011 - 5:17 PM

Highlighted bg created by sun light

Hi Rinjutsu,
    the link above is to a shot from my portfolio, of a red squirrel.
    I think it is a good example of how natural sunlight can create the bright green highlights you wish to capture.
    The only post processing done to this image, was a slight levels adjustment, and some sharpening.

The dark shades you mention are possibly due to the sunlight shining through a leafy tree, or something similar,
    that has dappled/broken the direct rays of sun light, which has in turn created light and shade on the grass.

As I mentioned in my first post, a carefully placed, radio triggered flash gun will give you similar results,
    more so if you want some shaded grass and highlighted grass also. You just need to experiment with the flash gun,
    so that the light is directed to the right area of the image.
    Does this help?

swanseamale47

The grass is lit from the left and fairly low down so it's picking up the tops of the grass rather than filling in between.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.