Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Historic British Motorbikes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
15 Jan 2013 - 11:11 PM

A heavenly bike with a sound not often heard on British roads these days, more's the pity (all contributions welcome!) Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2hTqNmlcoU

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jan 2013 - 11:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 8:25 AM

My ears still ***** up at the sound of traditional British bikes, most of all for that lovely off-beat of the 50 degree V twin of the 1000 cc Vincent HRD.

The best bike I ever owned was a series B Black Shadow (which got stolen and wrecked by one of the local Triumph Bonneville boys).

The crackle of the Velocette Venom / Viper is another that is instantly recognisable to me

Those were the days when you could strip down and rebuild a bike by the roadside with nowt but a spanner, screwdriver and a bit of brute force (mind you, it was necessary fairly often! Wink )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 16 Jan 2013 - 8:25 AM
kodachrome
16 Jan 2013 - 8:52 AM

The whistling note on overun from the megaphone exhaust on a BSA Gold Star [Goldie]. in race trim, one of the fastest 500cc singles ever made apart from a Norton Inter.
Also a J.A.P. speedway bike on full song running on methenol with the sweet smell of Castrol R.
I'm welling up!
It was part of the fun fixing your bike on the road side, usually an oil leak.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 9:22 AM

Quote: a Norton Inter.

I borrowed one of these from a mate when my Vinny got stolen and apart from that lovely noise the one thing I still remember was the very light flywheel it had which gave instant throttle response. Until I got use to it shutting the throttle was most unsettling, just like jamming the brakes on!

The funniest bike I ever played with was an early Velocette 350 twin-port two-stroke (GTP?) which had the entertaining habit of starting with the engine spinning backwards if the ignition was too far retarded. The first you knew of it was when you let the clutch in and shot over the handle bars as the bike shot backwards from under you Tongue

Last Modified By brian1208 at 16 Jan 2013 - 9:22 AM
chataigner
16 Jan 2013 - 9:26 AM

Lovely sound. I was a Truimph Tiger 110 fan, had one for years, couldn't afford a Bonnie.

ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 9:42 AM

Quote: A heavenly bike with a sound not often heard on British roads these days, more's the pity

I so agree about the sound, somethings just make my neck hairs bristle, single and twin pot bike engines, the whistle of a side valve car engine and the ultimate is a merlin aero-engine. Music to the ears GrinGrinGrin

Eric Grin

Peter_West
16 Jan 2013 - 10:07 AM

Memories memories, use to have a Triumph 500 fantastic machine, till I took I detour threw a brick wall in 1972, compound fracture of left leg happy days, worst thing is I know where the bike is now still under wraps in a dry garage never been touched since I sold it him after crash, with all original documents, i.e. green log book with my name on, and the b******d wont sell it me back no matter how much I offer, gutted Sad

Railcam
Railcam  7463 forum posts Scotland
16 Jan 2013 - 10:11 AM

And on the railways, a Deltic. 3,300 hp of turbocharged, Napier, 2 stroke diesel.

icphoto
icphoto  13953 forum posts England
16 Jan 2013 - 11:15 AM

How about one of these?

A Royal Enfield.Wink

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4492 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 11:57 AM

This was my last Brit. bike......my Norton Vincent Special.....built by me in 1966...best bike I've ever owned & enjoyed.....enjoy !

Retired from biking just 2 years ago............norvin.jpg

brian1208
16 Jan 2013 - 12:05 PM

Nik, that is a cracker.

The combination of Vincent power and Norton handling was legendary and wasn't it so much better with the Norton clutch, the Vincent centrifugal job was entertaining in that it got harder to disengage the faster it spun.

I only got rid of my old handbook recently (to a current Shadow owner) and the page dealing with the clutch was the only one with greasy thumbprints all over it! Smile

kodachrome
16 Jan 2013 - 1:53 PM

Nick

Absolutely fab, that Norton 'Featherbed' frame was the state of the art back then, I had a Domi 600 twin and you could scrape the foot rests going round bends or roundabouts and still no frame whip.
No wonder people fitted different engines, Triumph twins were popular engines to fit in the Domi frame.
Usually known as 'Tritons'.
I had a 'Shorrocks' super charger fitted to my Domi, but it made the bike too dangerous to handle safely, so removed it. One of my favourite bikes although I never owned one was a BSA Road Rocket.

Does any body remember the 'Wooler'.
Pete

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4492 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 4:24 PM

This was my previous bike...a BSA Gold Flash, with me on board nearest the camera.....about 1964 !!.GrinGrinbsa-gf-epz-.jpg

kodachrome
16 Jan 2013 - 6:52 PM

I think it was a Gold Flash that was used on the ITV Heart beat programme, could be wrong, but it looks very similar.
I was a big fan of the AJS and Matchless twins, but never owned one.
My last bike before the girl friend gave me the ultimatum, was a Norton 750 Inter. It was 4 wheels after that.
Love the vintage gear.

Niknut
16 Jan 2013 - 7:30 PM

"Vintage Gear" ??????.....that was a VERY trendy Belstaff wax-cotton outfit..we were well 'ard in those days !!!!.GrinGrinGrinGrin

Always fancied an 'Inter'....always eluded me !.Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.