Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

History of Kodak

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123898 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 7:27 AM

Whilst you are browsing at the super duper new models screeching "buy me, buy me" at Focus or wherever have a look at the first digital camera here; the Torygraph is running quite an interesting history of Kodak for anyone who may be interested.

Peter.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Mar 2013 - 7:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    6 Mar 2013 - 9:44 AM

It's sad that Kodak invent some great technology but end up backing the wrong horse.

When the first digital camera was presented to the Kodak management, Steve Sasson admitted that it would probably take 20 years to get it to market and so the project was shelved.

There were two great stumbling-blocks to affordable digital photography: large-scale digital storage at a usable physical size and price just didn't exist and image processing was pretty crude. Those of us who have white hair will remember that a multi-million pund mainframe installation like the ICL2900 had less processing power than the Nikon EXPEED 3 and less storage capacity than one of our large CF cards.

In the mid 1980s, I had a play with a Kodak designed image processing computer that pre-dated the Quantel Paintbox or Photoshop. Images were stored on video-tapes because there wasn't any other practical large-scale storage.

Kodak seemed to have the ideas too soon!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 6 Mar 2013 - 9:44 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.