Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hitech 85mm Pro Stopper 10 v's Lee Big Stopper

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    teabelly
    teabelly  331 forum posts England
    1 Jan 2013 - 6:20 PM

Have really wanted a Lee Big Stopper for over a year and now I have some Christmas money to buy one. I was considering the Lee one but am convinced it will be short lived as I am prone to being a little clumsy. Had looked at the Hitech but was put off by light leeks and colour casks but it looks like they have improved on this since 2010/2011.

Has anyone used the Hitech one ? Do I need a separate filter holder or can I just use the one that I have been using for my ND Hitech filters ??

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jan 2013 - 6:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper
    Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 6:39 PM

There are 2 versions of the HiTech with a different thickness of foam seal to suit either the Lee holder or the HiTech holder, so you'd best check the HiTech website to make sure you get the right one.

Andy_Cundell
    1 Jan 2013 - 6:42 PM

Yes! I had a hitech one for around 6 months. I must admit, all I ever did was complain about it because I also knew about the Lee Big Stopper and had seen comparisons between the two.

I found the colour cast could be removed in Photoshop/ RAW plug-in, but sometimes it just didn't look right. I actually gave up on it and felt like I couldn't gel with it so sold it so I could get a Lee.

They are the same size, so you wont need a separate holder.

There is always a market for second hand filters, so if you can't wait, get a hitech, but if you can, save up for the Lee!

AndyGrin

Note: I'm now trying to gel with my lee!!!

Last Modified By Andy_Cundell at 1 Jan 2013 - 6:43 PM
    EddieAC
    EddieAC  9667 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 7:41 PM

Here are links to three blogs posted by epz's Nick_w when he reviewed the Hi-tech and Lee. These may be of interest. SmileSmile

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/nick-w-61515/blog/10-stop-filter-hitech--lee----------or-both-2782

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/nick-w-61515/blog/hitech-prostop-nd-filter-2898

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/nick-w-61515/blog/lee-v-hitech-big-stopper-4379

Last Modified By EddieAC at 1 Jan 2013 - 7:46 PM
    Jack_Schitt
    1 Jan 2013 - 7:54 PM

i also have the hi tech big stopper............Dont do it!!

its ok if thats really all you can afford, but i find myself comparing it to lee's far superior version that i borrowed off of a friend......wish i hadnt, cos now it just has to go.
    the colour balance from the lee is just far superior to hi tech

save your pennies and buy a good one

Jack

JonnyNI
    JonnyNI e2 Member 2427 forum postsJonnyNI vcard
    1 Jan 2013 - 8:28 PM

I picked up a Heliopan 10 stop filter (screw in) last year. Only cost me 50 and I'm more than happy with the results (even though I'm still learning) Little to no colour cast.

Here are a few shots taken with it.

Flickr 1

Flickr 2

Flickr 3

User_Removed
    1 Jan 2013 - 8:56 PM

Seen this...???

teabelly
    1 Jan 2013 - 9:28 PM

I am so blown away with your responses Grin

Snapper thank you for the advice about the foam seal, I did not know this.

Eddie I have read the reviews thanks for finding them for me

Jonny your pictures are really beautiful, I have seen this filter advertised but I was worried about cross threading the filter on the lens, my husband says he should rent me out to test technology.

Andy and Jack have you had your lee filters long ? I have never used glass filters before as I use the Griturn filters which I replace once a year (scratches mainly)

Thanks for taking the time to reply

teabelly
    1 Jan 2013 - 9:29 PM

Mike I almost forgot the magic cloth technique, that is so wacky but will give it a go sounds like fun and I can't break a clothGrinGrin

davidcollins
    davidcollins e2 Member 8103 forum postsdavidcollins vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jan 2013 - 10:28 PM

yup what mike said and it works i have used it for a good few shots. lose the cloth use your hand same idea but only on longish exposures

User_Removed
    2 Jan 2013 - 6:35 PM

Yes - I need to reinforce that...

David (and Tony of course!! ) is right. That technique is for long exposures. (Define a 'long exposure Mike')

I would suggest visualising yourself spending the time running through what you THINK will be the 'expected' exposure time and what you have to do to actually achieve the desired effect (as per Tony's Tutorial). My guess would be (at a minimum) something of the order of a 15second exposure or more.

David?

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 2:21 PM

Theres a lot of confusion with the Hitech big stopper filters. They have recently updated them, so they no longer suffer from IR contamination. They are avaiable in both Resin & Glass - I dare say all the negative Hitech big stopper comments are from their original filter.

All "Big Stoppers" (Hitech, Lee etc) require white Balance adjustments (see my blog posts in the links provided by Eddie). Whilst I still prefer the Lee's the Hitech is still pretty good, a word of warning go for 100mm as you will get vignetting with the 85mm one - as you do anyway with the 100mm one but will be worse.

Oh and yes the Lee glass one does break easily !!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.