Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hitech nd grads

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    baker58
    baker58  10101 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Feb 2012 - 7:34 PM

Apologies if this matter has been covered before.I have recently bought the Lee Foundation kit and a 77mm WA adapter for use with Canon 10-22. I have been trying to decide which to go for, Lee's or Hitech's. Was thinking of starting off with a 0.6hard and a 0.9 hard and maybe a full nd. Won't be doing coastal shots, more likely to be in the hills. Trawling through the forums I get conflicting information regarding the choice of hard versus soft but Lee Filters and one or two eminent pro's on EPZ suggest going with hard with the Lee's on a crop sensor camera. Regarding the Hitech's I can't find any info about the hardness of the transition so have a concern about choosing wrongly. I wonder if any of you kind people have experience of the Hitech's on a crop frame camera, namely is the transition on the hards soft enough not be apparent in hilly shots.

Paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Feb 2012 - 7:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

southpole
    southpole  355 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Feb 2012 - 8:27 PM

I use hitech 100mm ND soft ad like them i have .6 .9 .12 cheapest place i found them is bristol Cameras

mikehit
    mikehit  46147 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2012 - 8:43 PM

I have the HiTech soft ND grad set (bought them from Teamworkphoto, with a Lee WA+holder kit) and use them on 30D/7D. THis is a good set but think a hard grads may have been better overall. The degree of gradation varies between manufacturers so it is hard to say anything about the Lee set

IanBurton
    IanBurton  463 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2012 - 10:06 PM

I have the Hitech filters, soft & hard grads and the ND filters. Prices are a lot more favorable compared to Lee, typical grad kit (0.3, 0.6, 0.9) will cost 85 and ND standard filters 78 from "Formatt". I opted for the 100mm size, slightly shorter than Lee but never had any problem. I use them in a Lee Holder on both crop sensor and full frame.

From experience I can say I rely mostly on the hard grads, particularly 0.6 and 0.9, and recently purchased a 1.2. I am able to use these on landscapes with an uneven horizon so long as I can find a spot on the landscape to blend the hard edge into. That said I have recently discovered I can soften the transition of the hard edge where this is difficult by combining a soft edge grad, 0.6 is my choice for this. As for ND filters I don't really use these as I find a polariser is sufficient for longer exposures, I use the Heliopan on the lee system. I've found that the ND filters do have a colour cast, but this can be sorted in post processing.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

baker58
    23 Feb 2012 - 10:13 PM

Many thanks guys.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2012 - 8:45 AM

if you are shooting hills I would be thinking along the terms of soft transition not hard.
    I would suggest that hard is more for a flat horizon.
    I tend to use soft grads and it works well for me, personally i don't see a need for hard grads and i photograph sea scapes and landscapes.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2012 - 8:51 AM

Hard grads can be softened simply by moving the filter up and down in front of the camera especially good if on a long exposure.
    In my mind hard grads can leave a line especially when using 0.9 which is my favourite filter.
    I know hard grads are used for straight horizons but why would you use one for hills and mountains when a soft grad would be preferable for in camera accuracy?

keithh
    keithh  1022764 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2012 - 9:22 AM

Because a hard grad is softened by the crop effect of a smaller sensor.

Hitech hard grads, however, have a shorter transition than Lee hard.

baker58
    24 Feb 2012 - 9:33 AM

Thanks. So it seems I either I should get Lee hards or Hitech softs for shots with an undulating horizon.

keithh
    keithh  1022764 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2012 - 9:38 AM

If the cost is an issue, you could pretty much get away with a 2 and 3 stop Lee hard on a crop sensor camera, go for softs on a full frame.

baker58
    24 Feb 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Keith. I was just thinking the same. A 2 and 3 stop Lee would cover me for most everything.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.