Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hmmmm votes......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Wilmot
Wilmot  6338 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2009 - 7:58 PM

Hi all,just making a forum about votes and comments,it seems to me that on days that i do not comment or vote on others pictures,i never get any votes of comments on my shots either,but on days i comment loads i get quite alot on my shots,i think this is silly,because i wish people would vote and comment on peoples shot,only because they like them,
Just wanted to discuss it with you.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jul 2009 - 7:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2009 - 8:00 PM

It's a fact of human nature - if you walk into a room and say hello to someone they are likely to say hello back. If you walk in and sit in a corner fewer people will bother to say hello

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2009 - 8:06 PM

At least you know, when you do not comment or vote much and still have people voting or comment on yourS, they probably do like the photo itself, rather than because you voted.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 5 Jul 2009 - 8:07 PM
User_Removed
5 Jul 2009 - 8:09 PM

It's like a little club Steve.
It's not something to really worry about................is it?

(Just my opinion of course)

Gerry.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 5 Jul 2009 - 8:10 PM
KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2009 - 8:12 PM

Quote: It's a fact of human nature - if you walk into a room and say hello to someone they are likely to say hello back. If you walk in and sit in a corner fewer people will bother to say hello

Exactly, a good analogy!

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jul 2009 - 8:18 PM

Quote: It's like a little club Steve.
It's not something to really worry about................is it?

Yes, but only if you believe in the press you are getting!

User_Removed
5 Jul 2009 - 8:19 PM

When I have the time to spend on the gallery looking and commenting I get more comments (and votes).

When I have less time and just add the odd comment and vote I get fewer. Whichever it is they are appreciated and I don't think it is a problem.

I do try to spend some time looking and commenting when I am not uploading - that way people don't feel so obliged to return the compliment.

All in all it's a superb site which is, as Pete says, subject to human nature (because most of the members are human Wink ).

Brett

Zonda
Zonda  5303 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2009 - 8:42 PM

Well i've been gobbing off wickedly for the last half hour, and have only picked up one vote on my latest upload. Gad it's a double-edged sword.

Zonda
5 Jul 2009 - 8:45 PM

It's a good job i'm not sensitive.....Gonna try the sitting in a corner quiet approach now.

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2009 - 9:25 AM

I often feel that it would be good to be able to turn the voting system off and just allow people to view your pictures and comment if they so wish. I know that you can do this if you ask for a critique but that is just wasting someone elses time if it's not what you require. I know that this would probably not work as pictures that are in the Critique Gallery do not appear to get many viewings so we are probably stuck with accepting that people only view and vote on pictures if they feel that there is some chance that you will reciprocate.
A great deal has been said about the voting system in numerous Forum threads but you can't change human nature overnight and from a personal point of view I don't mind if others want to join click groups or even Forum groups as that is what they enjoy from the site and who am I to deny them. Andy

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72345 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
7 Jul 2009 - 9:38 AM

Quote: people only view and vote on pictures if they feel that there is some chance that you will reciprocate.

If this is the case, why not start changing it. There may be members on the site that use it in this form. But that doesn't mean others can't use it to show that they like the photo our think its a good photo.

I use the vote button to signify a photo that I think, in my opinion, is a good photo. I don't really care if i get a reciprocal vote/comment. I do think that if its worth voting, its worth commenting.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 7 Jul 2009 - 9:40 AM
conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2009 - 9:44 AM

Quote: people only view and vote on pictures if they feel that there is some chance that you will reciprocate

A sweeping, generalising statement like that is never completely true, of course. I know that there are people who are like that, but it definitely doesn't apply to everyone.

I've come to the conclusion that whatever system anyone can come up with, there will always be those who will abuse it, or not use it as it was intended. Since there's no perfect system, all we can do is ignore those who aren't using it as they should, and get on with using it the way we feel it should be used.

Last Modified By conrad at 7 Jul 2009 - 9:45 AM
Zonda
7 Jul 2009 - 9:48 AM

My rule is..That every insult should be followed by a vote. Leaves my conscience clear.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2009 - 9:53 AM

To take Peteís analogy a step further
It's a fact of human nature - if you walk into a room and say hello to someone they are likely to say hello back. If you walk in and sit in a corner fewer people will bother to say hello

It's a fact of human nature - if you walk into a room and say hello, you look nice to someone they are likely to say hello you look nice too.

It's a fact of human nature - if you walk into a room and say hello youíre a minger to someone, are likely to say hello you still look nice though?

Edit: My rule- I very rarely comment on pics that Iíve voted for

Last Modified By roxpix at 7 Jul 2009 - 10:01 AM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2009 - 10:04 AM

The thing is, people who do click every shot posted by their friends are being doing it to be nice.

I'm guessing they never come in to the forums - they'd read one click thread and re-think their ways I bet Wink

Some people may have seen a comment on the lines of

Like the details and tones in this one

on many/all of their shots

I know the person who leaves such comments - a genuninely nice person, no malice or "click fishing", just using the site in his own way - leaving a nice comment on 100's of shots per day. Sure, it used to be a bit frustrating that his stuff from the same shoot got twice the "love" from the masses, but you get over it Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.