Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HMV about to go under

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 1:22 PM

Quote: (music/film/tv/books)

I still prefer a book to be a physical object, nice to get away from looking at a computer monitor now & again Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jan 2013 - 1:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014004 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 1:26 PM

How delightfully retro...

AlexandraSD
15 Jan 2013 - 1:29 PM

Quote: (music/film/tv/books)
I still prefer a book to be a physical object, nice to get away from looking at a computer monitor now & again Wink

Definitely, books never steam up in the bath, or crack when sat upon by accident Tongue

keith selmes
15 Jan 2013 - 1:30 PM

Quote: most still have a basic CD player in the car,

there are those of us who still have a tape player (!) but you can get a handy device very cheap that lets you plug an mp3 player into it.

Quote: my local HMV was always busy,

that is a surprise then, it makes me wonder how many other busy shops, like book shops, might be in trouble.

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 1:31 PM

Quote: so how thbey can lose money by charging 15 for a CD i do not know,

But how many of their sales were of full-price 15 CDs? I suspect a vast majority were from their '3 for 10' offers.

keith selmes
15 Jan 2013 - 1:41 PM

Quote: I still prefer a book to be a physical object, nice to get away from looking at a computer monitor now & again

Me too, but I admit to usually buying on line. Again there's the convenience, plus the huge range available.

I know there are people who will prefer CD because the quality is better than mp3, and some who will buy hugely expensive equipment for vinyl records, but I can barely hear the difference myself, and I think it must be a minority interest. But books are different matter. There are a lot of people for whom reading a real book is a pleasure, and it isn't usually expensive. Books might seem old fashioned now, but I don't think they'll disappear very quickly, simply because enough people like them. No more quickly than pint glasses, tweed, and signposts with miles on them, at any rate.

Last Modified By keith selmes at 15 Jan 2013 - 1:43 PM
AlexandraSD
15 Jan 2013 - 1:54 PM

Cassette players in cars, with a graphic EQ under the passenger seat, oh that soooO oldskool Grin

I am not one for browsing shops, i only ever went to HMV to buy reggae CD's, the pboro branch always had a decent selection of reggae, various artist and compilation albums.

The high street is definitely under threat, small towns like Wisbech dont stand a chance with Pboro and Kings Lynn so close by, there were plans to regenerate the town, the port area, and an out of town shopping precinct but work stopped a few years back, though, surprise surprise, Tesco's are opening a Tesco Express, or is it Xtra? Im not sure, but its a few yards from my door, and even closer to the local shop, which has served the villager since i have been here, and much longer. In a few years time, even corner shops may be obsolete, local traders surely cannot compete against a giant like Tesco, who want to sell you everything from Baked Beans to car insurance.

Both Kings Lynn and Peterborough are experiencing steady growth, and a lot of money is being poured into the infrastructure, with new industrial estates and living spaces appearing rapidly, so there is growth there, but the smaller towns are being ignored and left to rot. Wisbech was once quite vibrant, now i am afraid to say its rather dead, or at least dying on its arse.

Considering all this, and time constraints, last year i did all my xmas shopping online, at least 90% of it anyway, Wisbech is full of charity shops and offies now, there are virtually no quality independent traders, most sell tat you can find on any market stall, and there are only a handful of high street shops in town, Dorothy Perkins, Peacocks and..... im sure there are more...... nope, cant think of any right now.

When i did go shopping in reality for presents, i went to either kings lynn or peterborough, not once in my hometown simply because there is nothing there, not unless you wish to buy a second hand hat, or cheap booze.

I am not sure how many towns are in similar positions, March is another town close by and thats largely ignored too, so its no wonder people would rather go online to shop, as opposed to getting in their car several times to go to the next town to shop, why would you when the internet is so convenient?

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53513 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 4:12 PM

Delivery of goods is still an internet issue, and oddly one Tesco's is doing rather well at - buy it on-line then go in the evening after work to pick it up - excellent Smile

Now if they could only offer that as a service for non Tesco products. (Petrol garages are another who have tried that).
Or if ocardo home delivery could offer this service...

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 5:19 PM

Technology changes, fashion changes... and business models need to change to reflect that. The concept of a large chain of stores selling items that can be downloaded to devices is doomed. Less kind people would go as far as to say it's dead. HMV have been in trouble for years, so this really was just a matter of time.

It's all very well saying they died because people were buying cheaper on-line or in supermarkets, but thats what happens in a free market. Everybody is being squeezed. We all have to make our pound go further. If a retailer wants us to pay more for a product by buying from a high street presence, they have to add serious value to the equation.

Apparently, the music and film industry won't want to see HMV disappear as they don't relish their wares being the sold exclusively by Apple and Amazon. I think the name will survive, perhaps as an online entity, but certainly with a very much reduced presence on the high street.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 5:37 PM

Quote: It's all very well saying they died because people were buying cheaper on-line or in supermarkets, but thats what happens in a free market

Absolutely, it just seems a bit odd to hear the same people who buy on line and contribute to the closures then bemoaning the fact that it was poor management that caused the businesses to fail, not their changing shopping habits.

I happen to have a bit of a social conscience when it comes to buying locally, even if it costs a bit more, thus trying to help people stay in work rather than buying the cheapest possibe option, regardless of source and the type of labour used to produce the goods / taxation policy of the suppliers (but that's my problem and I make no comment against those who see life differently)

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 6:01 PM

Just read that Fopp are owned by HMV, does that mean they go too Sad

losbarbados
15 Jan 2013 - 9:15 PM

Looks like it

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 9:21 PM

HMV are saying no more than Fopp's future is unclear.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 9:26 PM

I have always liked Fopp - one of the few record shops that sold more interesting stuff. The Sheffield one was great, but sadly went when the company appeared to go bust several years ago. Still visit the Nottingham one from time to time.

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 11:20 PM

Quote: ...even if it costs a bit more, ...

That's the crux of the matter Brian, "a bit more". I guess no two people will agree on how much more is a bit.

I was after a particular product at Christmas. HMV wanted 40, but ASDA got my business at 20. Leaving aside the argument of supporting local business, etc, in my case (and I'm sure in a lot of cases throughout the UK) this year, spending twice the amount simply wasn't an option. The option was buy at 20 or somebody goes without!

I did get one or two things in HMV this Christmas, and queues were long, but being busy and a high turnover doesn't mean money is being made. What's the saying? Turnover is vanity but profit is sanity!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.