Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

HMV about to go under

collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2013 3:45PM
I wonder what would happen if you had a 10 HMV voucher, picked up a 9.99 CD, went up to the manager of the shop and gave him the voucher and said that you were leaving? Where would one stand?

I'm thinking along the lines that before Xmas they must have known they were in serious trouble so therefore taking customers money in exchange for vouchers knowing that they were unlikely to honour them amounts to fraud.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
16 Jan 2013 3:49PM
In my mind they have taken our money and given us that value of paid for stock. So whatever stock they have in stock at liquidation should be value less outstanding gift voucher value. And they should be honoured as the money has already been injected into the business. Likewise deposits left on pre orders.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
16 Jan 2013 7:18PM
I wouldn't think the original owners and management would have any more say in what is done/not done once they have gone into bankruptcy. Is it worth filing suite as a creditor to recover the value of a gift card?

In our minds it might amount to a form of fraud, but in the business world they are protected once they file for bankruptcy. Take a look at the cases of airlines going under and leaving customers stranded around the world.
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 8:42AM
I guess you are right Straycat - I just wish I had the balls to test my theory (8o).........
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 9:41AM

Quote:I wonder what would happen if you had a 10 HMV voucher, picked up a 9.99 CD, went up to the manager of the shop and gave him the voucher and said that you were leaving? Where would one stand?

A very interesting proposition - it is certainly different from suing in advance, and you may find that the administrators may not prosecute for fear that their actions were overturned and would complicate future situations.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 11:28AM

Quote:I wonder what would happen if you had a 10 HMV voucher, picked up a 9.99 CD, went up to the manager of the shop and gave him the voucher and said that you were leaving? Where would one stand?

It's theft. Payment has to be accepted, regardless of whether it's a voucher or a bank note. If the payment isn't accepted then police would see you as a thief.

As for HMV not honouring your voucher that's a separate matter which would be dealt with by a civil not a criminal court, it's not a police matter.

Quote:taking customers money in exchange for vouchers knowing that they were unlikely to honour them amounts to fraud.

If it does you need to make a complaint to the police. The same goes for anyone you suspect of fraud. Even if the fraud is proved you still aren't allowed to go to their place and commit a crime of theft in a tit-for-tat. You'd need to pursue compensation through the courts.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It might not be justice but it's the law. You might not like it, but don't shoot the messenger.
losbarbados 5 236 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 11:51AM
I wonder if those facebook warriors who are shouting loudest about the closure of HMV while spending their day on Pirate Bay downloading the latest releases and music can see the connection between the twon?
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 12:15PM

Quote:I wonder if those facebook warriors who are shouting loudest about the closure of HMV while spending their day on Pirate Bay downloading the latest releases and music can see the connection between the twon?

I should think most people who download off Pirate Bay don't give a toss about HMV. Why would they?
Physically visiting a shop is something that should only ever be attempted if there is no feasible alternative IMHO.
javam e2
10 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2013 2:50PM
The cause is a shift in the medium and distribution/consumption methods not Pirate Bay/Torrents. Illegal downloads are the modern day substitute for copying your friends CD or recording it to tape. While the ease of torrent downloading may have shifted the balance, it is a smaller contributing factor than the more fundamental shift in buying habits and formats.

HMV, Zavvi, Borders, Blockbusters have gone bust because the market has changed and there are easier (and fairly consistently) cheaper online options for purchasing and physical products are only one of the options.

Any high street store that currently sells products which people don't need to look at/hold to buy (and even many that they do - see Jessops fall) don't need many calendars to count the days to their inevitable collapse. The same for any business where the product is moving online or the internet provides an easier alternative. Clintons hit hard times, because facebook supports the needs of the many people who always hated feeling obligated to send a card in the first place and moonpig and the like are coming up to plug the gap for people who want to send a physical card, but not have to go to a shop to buy one with a crap joke on/in it.

A gloomy prediction or not, this is the way it is going. To quote my favourite Vorlon - "the avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote".

The make up of our high streets is constantly changing, and will continue to change. Coffee bars, charity and mobile phone shops fill some of the gaps as they appear, but ultimately streets and town centres will downsize and the number of retail units will reduce to the number required to house the big players that can survive and sell products people want to see/try before they buy.

I suppose it is not impossible that Amazon could open a chain of high street stores, to plug some of the gaps left by the retail operations they have replaced, but if your shop store room can only house 1% (and probably much less) of your product catalogue, which 1% do you stock?

EDIT: for the record I did not make amazon a link above (or there)
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 1:18PM
HMV are accepting gift vouchers from tomorrow.
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
21 Jan 2013 1:20PM

Quote:HMV are accepting gift vouchers from tomorrow.

Find a dyslexic behind the counter and give him your Jessops vouchers.Grin
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 11:09AM
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
25 Jan 2013 11:23AM
I see that the latest rumour is that they are proposing to combine HMV & Jessops into a single store.
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 11:26AM
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Jan 2013 4:38PM
Rhyming HMV and Joe McElderry deserves praise on its own. Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.