Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Homebase lights!

Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2012 8:44PM
Now how did I know you would look just to see what muppet had gone to Omebase to look for fotograffy lights! Yep, you guessed, it would be I. Sadly I cannot include a link due to the fact I cannot find it on the 'Omebase site. I thought though they seemed really good and reasonably priced. Which at the end of the day when all is said and done, was a bit of a waste posting when I can't linky it.

Oh, I found it (blush)

Wad e think?

Yere

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NaturesHaven e2
3 261 5 England
13 Dec 2012 8:53PM
Cheaper than Bowens...........and some other brands..............GrinGrinGrinGrin
13 Dec 2012 9:05PM
It's legs only - you'll need to buy the rest as well.

Quote:Lampshade and bulb are sold separately to allow personal preference on shade and leg size.

Alan P.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Dec 2012 9:10PM
There not designed for photography, there just made to look arty and photogenic Smile

I wouldn`t call 170 cheap for a 100w bulb on legs.
Dave_Collier e2
8 236 2 England
13 Dec 2012 9:14PM
If you are looking for some cheap lights for photographic use these Screwfix Site Lights might be useful, two 400w halogen lamps on a 1400mm stand at 26.99 including VAT.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Dec 2012 9:39PM

Quote:There not designed for photography, there just made to look arty and photogenic Smile

I wouldn`t call 170 cheap for a 100w bulb on legs.

Mind you, the 20 variety could be useful for table-top still-life photography if they have an ES holder.

It sometimes is worth improvising. I am still using a quartet of Lidl LED lamps that were 2.99 each including batteries a couple of years back (even the original batteries are still going strong.)

The problem is that as soon as a product gets the "photographic" name-tag, the price goes up obscenely.

It's like car parts. I remember saying on here a couple of years back that is something as complex as a shotgun cartridge, costing about 18p, was a part for a car, it would cost 18.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
13 Dec 2012 10:13PM

Quote:If you are looking for some cheap lights for photographic use these Screwfix Site Lights might be useful, two 400w halogen lamps on a 1400mm stand at 26.99 including VAT.

That'd make an interesting choice, although 2 x 400W halogens are going to get very dangerously hot fairly quickly.
14 Dec 2012 8:42AM
The screwfix lights work well if your Model is wearing a Hard Hard and a Hi Vis vest and perhaps a tool belt.

Tony
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
14 Dec 2012 8:57AM

Quote:The screwfix lights work well if your Model is wearing a Hard Hard and a Hi Vis vest and perhaps a tool belt.

...or an asbestos suit.

Halogen generally though should be a decent choice of cheap light for photography. It's inherently colour-accurate and easy to correct, the main problem being its generation of heat. In work lights or flood lights the temperature will be epic. One of the great advantages of LED is that you won't cook your model, or your bowl of fruit, but the colour accuracy is less guaranteed than it is in an incandescent source.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2012 10:12AM
I use 2 of these occasionally , 105W energy sawing so more like 500W, fit in a standard ES holder, (though they are big)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/105W-Fluorescent-Energy-Saving-Bulb-Studio-Daylight-Balanced-5500K-Spiral-Bulbs-/321010514638?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item4abdb7bace

and a holder like this with a shoot through umbrella
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E27-Bulb-Holder-Socket-Flash-Umbrella-Mount-45W-5500K-Photo-Studio-Light-Lamp-/370645222695?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=item564c2d4527

Makes you feel like its a sunny day inside your house Smile
14 Dec 2012 10:20AM

Quote:The screwfix lights work well if your Model is wearing a Hard Hard and a Hi Vis vest and perhaps a tool belt.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!Grin
Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2012 10:21AM
That looks good Jack. Going to look into that one! Thank you

Quote:If you are looking for some cheap lights for photographic use these Screwfix Site Lights might be useful, two 400w halogen lamps on a 1400mm stand at 26.99 including VAT.

I've got something similar, halogen lights from Lidl, one light on each stand. 12 each as far as I can remember. I removed the grids from the front of them as they were casting shadows.
17 Dec 2012 1:17AM
Jack has offered a good idea and the bulbs he suggested don't emit the temperature halogen lights do, they get HOT!
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
17 Dec 2012 9:24AM

Quote:Jack has offered a good idea and the bulbs he suggested don't emit the temperature halogen lights do, they get HOT!

Aye that's true, but fluorescent lights will have a tendency to produce green-biased portraits, and generally have a spiky spectral power distribution that makes them a little less predictable than an incandescent light source for photographic purposes. Halogen will require less 'fiddling around' if you want to get the colour looking right, so it's a decent choice for table-top stuff (still hot), but once you get to big power-guzzling halogen floodlights there's a real safety issue to consider. They use about 80-90% of their energy in producing heat.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.