Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Honest request from my peers regarding a tripod?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 5:04 PM

Quote: A 3 way head is a bit like a chocolate fire guard or an ash tray on a motorbike when used with a 500mm lens

Why ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Dec 2012 - 5:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
20 Dec 2012 - 6:11 PM

Any chocolate fireguards going gash? Send them my way!

lawbert
lawbert  71714 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 6:58 PM

Quote: A 3 way head is a bit like a chocolate fire guard or an ash tray on a motorbike when used with a 500mm lens
Why ?

Why would a 3 way head be good for a 500mm lens?

Im intrigued as I have a 3 way head and a trigger ball head and I find one plane of axis easier to control than 3...and a tad sight quicker in conjunction with a 500mmSmileTongue

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 6:59 PM

For plants, then go for a tripod where the central column can be positioned horizontally (such as the 190Xpro). With a sensible head, this should take a 150-500 OK.

If interested in the 055, do try it out in a shop first - it is a bit of a lump.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95919 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 7:56 PM

I use a Manfrotto 055CL Tripod and it has been seriously abused over the yearsWink

Can't remember the last time I even wiped it downSmile

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 6:51 AM

Have you been pleased with it TC? And what head do you like?

Mike

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 7:19 AM

I've owned a couple of aluminium Manfrotto 190s and eventually they became a bit rickety. I was impressed enough to buy two on the spin though, please note. Skimming the internet finds a bit of opinion that carbon fibre is a better buy in that sense (I note the 190 is also available as CF), but still I had quite a bit of use out of them before I reached that stage. Prior to the Manfrottos I was using a Uni-Loc, which was ideal for the type of ground-level stuff I was doing, even though it took a bit of getting used to.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 7:38 AM

*I should add that my treatment of the Manfrottos probably lead to their downfall! I'd spend quite long periods walking around with the whole assembly intact including camera, putting undue strain on threads and parts. Sad With more considered use I think they'd last for ages.

thewilliam
21 Dec 2012 - 11:55 AM

Carbon fibre tripods can sometimes be too light.

One good friend had his blow over on its very first use and his camera didn't appreciate the fall. This tends to be embarrasing for wedding photographers so the first use was the last.

When using my lightweight tripod, it helps to suspend something heavy, like a rucsac or even a bag filled with stones from the bottom of the centre column.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 12:32 PM

Quote: Carbon fibre tripods can sometimes be too light.

All depends on how you position the legs.

I have a CF tripod (Giottos GTMTL8361B), and if you open the legs to the narrowest width, then the tripod can be a little unstable in high wind. However if open the legs to the next widest width, then the tripod is as steady as a rock.
And of course, you can hang the camera bag from the center column.

But in any event, a CF tripod is likely of out outside the OPs budget.

Last Modified By mattw at 21 Dec 2012 - 1:39 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 12:32 PM

Quote: Carbon fibre tripods can sometimes be too light

I have recently renewed my friendship with a long standing friend ( circa 1995 ) that has been in the garage for a few years Wink

An Aluminium Gitzo, G326

Gives me so much more confidence with stability when setting up in muddy / windy conditions Smile

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 1:46 PM

JJGee that is exactly what I need. With Arthritis fairly bad in my hands I'm thinking maybe 3-way? Could be better for adjusting than ball and socket? Or I suppose what I could do is actually get into Jessops or LCE to try both for comfort. I've looked quite hard at the CF units that have been suggested and indeed some have suggested they are a bit on the light side which for me is neither here nor there.

Aluminium it will be then, this I am certain off. Stability recommendations have been taken on-board. It is now I think down to ball or 3-way. It does concern me that the 150-500 is a bit of a lump.

DerekL
DerekL e2 Member 9107 forum postsDerekL vcard England23 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 3:49 PM

Manfrotto 190 or 055 coupled with a Manfrotto 393 head. Allows one handed movement of that big lens.
2nd hand head here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-393-Long-Lens-Bracket-in-Excellant-condition...

Mozzytheboy
21 Dec 2012 - 7:55 PM

Manfrotto 190 or o55 I am down to but still need to try ball v 3-way. 27th Dec I shall be off to Taunton Smile

Two mentioned VANGUARD Alta+ 263AGH Aluminium Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head; and is reduced from 250 all in - to 135 with free delivery. As that falls well within my budget, I need to see what pistol grip is like for me. My hands are actually very strong even with this wicked arthritis; it is finger pain fumbling that causes me problems especially when not warm.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7565 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
23 Dec 2012 - 12:20 PM

I use a Velbon Ulta-Rexi but it has twist locks not lever ones so it might not be good for arthritic hands. In all other respects it's a brilliant tripod, very stable and folds down small. Would suggest any good brand e.g. Velbon, Vanguard, Manfrotto, Giottos. TBH I was unimpressed with the Manfrottos I tried tho' I know many swear by them. Try various ones and pick the one you like most. In your case a pistol grip is a good idea.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.