Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

honesty is the best policy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6510 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 1:19 PM

When you look at a photo before deciding on the quality you should take in to consideration the equipment used, not every one can afford the most expensive gear but still enjoy taking photos and have to work with in their needs, for instance an image of a bird taken full frame with a 500mm or 600mm lens is always going to be superior to a cropped image taken with a 200mm lens, does that make the guy with the better gear a better photographer.

Last Modified By gary_d at 14 Apr 2013 - 1:20 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Apr 2013 - 1:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 1:30 PM

If the OP doesn't like the fact that the site caters for everyone's needs, perhaps he should look elsewhere instead of dictating to the rest of how we should use the site!

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 14 Apr 2013 - 1:31 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 1:56 PM

Democracy sucks

meyeview
meyeview e2 Member 4374 forum postsmeyeview vcard Scotland
14 Apr 2013 - 2:07 PM

Quote: If the OP doesn't like the fact that the site caters for everyone's needs, perhaps he should look elsewhere instead of dictating to the rest of how we should use the site!

i am making a comment on the absurd voting and critiquing that goes on.
at no point am i trying to dictate as to how others use this site.
maybe i have hit a raw nerve with my comments?

ade_mcfade
14 Apr 2013 - 2:15 PM

I agree with the OP's point

used to debate endlessly about it

used to suggest 1001 changes

then you realise that

democracy allows "all" people votes - and they can do what they like with them

hence utterly terrible shots get 100 votes - masterpieces may get a mere few

at this point to either "piss in the wind" arguing the toss, or accept and move on

Wink

choose the latter - it's for the best

Trev_B
Trev_B e2 Member 7100 forum postsTrev_B vcard England61 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 2:33 PM

Here we go again.... the same old subject, everyone having an opinion and some not ready to accept others points of viewWink

Always difficult to add a comment, critique or remark in a forum in good faith with a smile on your face whilst another reads it with a frown on theirs, taking it as a personal dig. So if there is any confusion SmileSmileSmile

I am happy to receive critique, I don't know if I would be quite as receptive if every comment was critical, as I am to get the pat on the back. However thats me and I am not everyone else.

I have to say that I have learnt more by looking at the images of other photographers than from critique.... especially bad critique.

Just enjoy this wonderful site, get the most out of it and improve whichever way that suits youGrin

Trev

meyeview
14 Apr 2013 - 2:54 PM

"at this point to either "piss in the wind" arguing the toss, or accept and move on"

I shall accept and move on.

ade_mcfade
14 Apr 2013 - 3:02 PM

lol - good man Wink

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41106 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 3:02 PM

Quote: When you look at a photo before deciding on the quality you should take in to consideration the equipment used, not every one can afford the most expensive gear but still enjoy taking photos and have to work with in their needs, for instance an image of a bird taken full frame with a 500mm or 600mm lens is always going to be superior to a cropped image taken with a 200mm lens, does that make the guy with the better gear a better photographer.

You don't do too bad with your canon 400mm f5.6, just looked at your photo's and they are good with the lens you have, so not such a true thing to say really, have the lesser lens makes you more determined to get the better shot and you end up being a more skilled photographer as you need to be closer to the subject, I know as i was there, I started with a canon 70-200mm f2.8 with converters to get the reach rather than pay 5k plus for a 600mm and still got great shots with it, I just had to be more cunning and cammo up to get closer to the subject.
I recently brought a 600mm f4 l is usm lens but it doesn't make me a better photographer. it makes it just as hard with a 600mm as it's so heavy i have to use a gimbal head and tripod which is more of a restriction in many ways I have found.
I also owned a SIGMA 120-300mm f2.8 lens which was brilliant and actually i regret getting rid of, I could easily hand hold this and it was much lighter and had lots of freedom than the 600mm f4.
So in my honest opinion i think your wrong about equipment making the Image better.

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 14 Apr 2013 - 3:04 PM
franken
franken e2 Member 112913 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 3:08 PM

The most expensive camera gear in the world will not compose or press the shutter for you at the exact moment required in order to take a good photograph.

Ken

ade_mcfade
14 Apr 2013 - 3:13 PM

Quote: The most expensive camera gear in the world will not compose or press the shutter for you at the exact moment required in order to take a good photograph.

Ken

yeah - you want to see the shots of my playing keyboards in Dubai - taken by one of the singers... using my camera.

I'm a blur and a box of hankies in the background is nice and sharp Wink

best part of 4000 worth of kit - totally unusable Wink

meyeview
14 Apr 2013 - 3:13 PM

Quote: Lol - good man Wink

in the words of Locutus of Borg - "resistance is futile"

ade_mcfade
14 Apr 2013 - 3:15 PM

There ya go...

was all set up nicely to get the exposure right too Wink

-mg-2000.jpg

lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 - 3:35 PM

That's a lovely picture ade_mcfade, wowee you are so talented! Fantastic! The forward focus on the McFadePhotography logo is a masterstroke! My favourite photos in the entire world are photos of logos! I also hate musicians, smelly, nasty people, and the way you have thrown him out of focus is mind-blowing! A pin sharp logo and an out of focus musician - genius! Bresson, Adams, Bailey, amateurs compared to that photo! If I were the Tate Modern I would offer you 2,000,000 for that picture! Awesome, dude!

By the way, I have entered one of my efforts in 'The Pictures Of The Century' 5,000 prize competition. Sadly, I hadn't quite got the hang of this digital stuff and thinking the SD card was film, I glued it to the sensor. Anyway, there's some marks on it, so I do hope you can see your way to giving me a good review Wink

Seriously, I agree with the OP to the extent that anyone who gives an opinion that is not honest to himself or is self-serving in some way is degrading the value of everyone else's comments.

In the end, if your harshest critic is not yourself, you probably are not much good anyway. Which makes other's opinions irrelevant Grin

ade_mcfade
14 Apr 2013 - 4:31 PM

whoosh

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.