Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Horselovers out there? - need advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2012 - 4:31 PM

don't want to go making a fuss where unnecessary, but just been out for a walk and saw this `lad' exercising a pony & trap..thought I had one or two decent shots but then noticed that the horse's body looked a little raw where the straps went round it's girth (am not up on the technical terms).

Q Do you think this looks as though the horse might be in distress?

or just tell me that it's normal?

untitled-14-4.jpg
    untitled-14-4-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Aug 2012 - 4:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rhol2
    rhol2 e2 Member 3307 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2012 - 4:58 PM

I'm not a qualified expert, but this looks wrong.The girth appears to be rubbing and chafing, causing what are known as "Girth Galls", if the horse is susceptible to this a special padded "anti-gall" girth should be used. It might be worth showing a copy of the pic to a Vet.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 24 Aug 2012 - 5:05 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2012 - 5:09 PM

Or the RSPCA.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/reportinganimalsindistress

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 24 Aug 2012 - 5:10 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    collywobles
    24 Aug 2012 - 5:18 PM

These people have no respect for you, the animal or females - its part of their culture to use ! They are a law to themselves!

Sus
    Sus  103183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2012 - 5:20 PM

Bleeding is never normal! Well spotted.

Any chance you could just speak to the trap owner? It is the sort of thing they might have missed, I'm always missing matts and grass seeds etc on my dogs. They may be interested in the padded girth.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2012 - 5:39 PM

Thanks for those thoughts....it didn't look right Sad

RSPCA was my first thought...knowing the locals, I don't think i would want to get into that sort of discussion

There are one or two trap owners around here, but this was only a lad of say 13/14 yr old. I have his picture, so think I will report this to the RSPCA
    Quote: Or the RSPCA.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/reportinganimalsindistress

many thanks for the link...I signed up to the RSPCA website...have to say it wasn't easy to find a link for this sort of thing

thanks everyone

catgirl73
    catgirl73  6142 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Aug 2012 - 5:43 PM

As someone who has been involved with horses since I was 12, that is no way acceptable or normal.

There are no excuses for the girth rubbing the skin raw or causing it to bleed.

You should be able to fit at least 3-5 fingers in between the girth and the skin.

Poor horse.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64533 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2012 - 6:03 PM

Definitely chaffing I'd say. Infection could set in as the skin is raw, let alone being very painful for the horse. Poor thing. Sad

Quote: You should be able to fit at least 3-5 fingers in between the girth and the skin.

The girth should be tight, not loose when riding. Not sure about when pulling a buggy though.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 24 Aug 2012 - 6:05 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cats_123
    24 Aug 2012 - 6:25 PM

thanks...RSPCA do not have any jurisdiction in my area so have reported it to USPCA (Ulster charity)

Sus
    Sus  103183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2012 - 8:02 PM

Quote: .I signed up to the RSPCA website...have to say it wasn't easy to find a link for this sort of thing

Website is a nightmare isn't it - makes you want to give up the whole thing halfway through! Hope USPCA are able to do something.

keith selmes
    25 Aug 2012 - 11:43 AM

At first glance it does look like girth damage, and would imply broken skin some way beyond ordinary girth galls.
    At the same time there is a heavy mark forward of the girth a few inches, which could be a field or stable injury, possibly a kick from another horse or a scrape on barbed wire or a sharp stick. It looks as though this has been sponged down to clean it.

I do think the horse has been groomed, and no-one could miss it unless it had just happened, and it doesn't look as though it has.

Definitely something wrong though. I suppose it is difficult to approach someone when they are going past at a smart trot, but if the opportunity were there I would be inclined to ask what happened, in a friendly sort of way.

In my own locality I would probably call our equine protection lady, and send the picture, but I don't know if all areas have those.
    It's a distinctive pony and a smart rig, so it should be well known.

It occurs to me, World Horse Welfare might be useful http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/contact

"Concerns about a horse?

If you have concerns about the welfare of a horse, please call our Welfare Hotline at 08000 480 180 with as much detail as possible about the condition of the horse(s)."

keith selmes
    25 Aug 2012 - 11:49 AM

Quote: You should be able to fit at least 3-5 fingers in between the girth and the skin

puzzled me for a moment, then I thought, squeezed in flat makes sense

cats_123
    25 Aug 2012 - 1:44 PM

Quote: At first glance it does look like girth damage, and would imply broken skin some way beyond ordinary girth galls.
    At the same time there is a heavy mark forward of the girth a few inches, which could be a field or stable injury, possibly a kick from another horse or a scrape on barbed wire or a sharp stick. It looks as though this has been sponged down to clean it.

I do think the horse has been groomed, and no-one could miss it unless it had just happened, and it doesn't look as though it has.

Definitely something wrong though. I suppose it is difficult to approach someone when they are going past at a smart trot, but if the opportunity were there I would be inclined to ask what happened, in a friendly sort of way.

In my own locality I would probably call our equine protection lady, and send the picture, but I don't know if all areas have those.
    It's a distinctive pony and a smart rig, so it should be well known.

It occurs to me, World Horse Welfare might be useful http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/contact

"Concerns about a horse?

If you have concerns about the welfare of a horse, please call our Welfare Hotline at 08000 480 180 with as much detail as possible about the condition of the horse(s)."

have reported it, so I'll see what happens...on another shot, not uploaded, there were similar marks under the front left leg `armpit'...

I would think that some local vet must be aware of these ponies...hopefully a quiet word will help Smile

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2012 - 1:53 PM

I imagine it's just ignorance on the part of the owner, rather than lack of concern - hope so anyway.

Tooth
    Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2012 - 6:44 PM

Someone who's that ignorant shouldn't be let near an animal..

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.