Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How are these to photos differ in terms of lighting?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

TonyCoridan
6 Mar 2013 - 9:49 AM

Hi Fellow photographers/Artists,

Help me understand how this photo better than this one?

Please.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Mar 2013 - 9:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 10:02 AM

not sure `better' is the way to look at it...presumably you've been `beaten' in the VS mode?

Your shot is quite stark and bright...the other has very subtle tones. Looking at detail, the eyes are very clear in the `darker' shot, on yours their si some good facial detail but (personally) am drawn to look at the whole `girl' and, of course, the part below the face is softened. It becomes very subjective and if you asked 1000 people which one you couldn't predict the result.

If I saw both of these hanging in an exhibition........it would depend what mood I was in....so you see....

TonyCoridan
6 Mar 2013 - 10:07 AM

Quote: Not sure `better' is the way to look at it...presumably you've been `beaten' in the VS mode?

Your shot is quite stark and bright...the other has very subtle tones. Looking at detail, the eyes are very clear in the `darker' shot, on yours their si some good facial detail but (personally) am drawn to look at the whole `girl' and, of course, the part below the face is softened. It becomes very subjective and if you asked 1000 people which one you couldn't predict the result.

If I saw both of these hanging in an exhibition........it would depend what mood I was in....so you see....

No, not beaten! It's just that I posted it in the critique gallery and I was advised that the back of the head lack lighting etc...

I'm here to learn really, not to compete: I wouldn't have minded if I were beaten in a VS mode!

Tony

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 10:08 AM

If I was chosing I'd go for darkness for the creative angle. It's a much more interesting lighting technique with a great profile. The light catches and outlines the shape of the face with subtle colours coming through from the darkness - wonderful lighting. If I was looking at it from a family perspective I would chose yours as it shows a more album worthy photo. As cats says

Quote: if you asked 1000 people which one you couldn't predict the result

Although on a site full of creative photographers I'd expect darkness to take a lead.

TonyCoridan
6 Mar 2013 - 10:20 AM

Quote:
Although on a site full of creative photographers I'd expect darkness to take a lead.

The main constructive criticism I had for my photo were that it lack light from the back, thus lacking details.

The 'Darkness' also lack light from the back.

If you have time, read the comments about my photo, please.

Tony

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 6 Mar 2013 - 10:31 AM
mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 10:31 AM

My gut reaction was for the profile shot - that was without any significant thought put into it.
But a short viewing of your photo the two main things that struck me were the highlights on the forehad/cheeks and the white of the vest are featureless and give a (to me) jarring contrast with the black background.

Had I seen yours in isolation I would have said it was a good shot (and it is) but side-by-side comparisons can skew your thinking.

TonyCoridan
6 Mar 2013 - 10:46 AM

Here Peter says:

"Personal appeal to me for one reason or another.
Yes I do have a liking of certain styles. I think paintings by Salvador Dali and surrealists like him are fascinating. I find Bob Carlos Clarke's pictures highly erotic, I love the infrared work of Simon Marsden, I enjoy the still lifes of Irvin Penn, I admire the landscapes of Ansel Adams. As a youth I was often engrossed in books of birds of prey by Eric Hoskins. I could go on, and on, and on."

He is well within his right!

Regards,

TonyGrin

Last Modified By TonyCoridan at 6 Mar 2013 - 10:47 AM
mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 11:23 AM

I struggle to see the relevance to the OP.

TonyCoridan
6 Mar 2013 - 11:29 AM

Quote: I struggle to see the relevance to the OP.

Forgive my ignorance: what does OP means?

lemmy
lemmy  71762 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Mar 2013 - 11:38 AM

Quote: what does OP mean

Original post.

TonyCoridan
6 Mar 2013 - 11:51 AM

Quote: I struggle to see the relevance to the OP.

I think it is relevant when it comes to someone's work being awarded and one of the criteria is the personal choice of the editor. I understand that it's an 'editor's award'.

Tony 😀

However, my OP was that my photo was criticised mainly for not having enough light highlighting the back of the head and 'Darkness' have similar issue to me!😃

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 11:53 AM

Two very different shots. The profile shot wouldn't have worked with light behind...yours would and would possibly have been better

779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Mar 2013 - 11:53 AM

Quote: Help me understand how this photo better than this one?

In my opinion it isn't. But what do I know.

Last Modified By 779HOB at 6 Mar 2013 - 11:54 AM
blastedkane
6 Mar 2013 - 12:11 PM

Photography is a subjective thing and everyone will have different criteria as to what makes a good image.

I for example feel that the exposure on the "posing" picture is spot on (for the face) and the fact that it falls into darkness lends it an air of mystery. yes the white shirt is a little bright, however your could just adjust this with one of the adjustment brushes in LR4 ot PS. I disagree with mods added as I feel that they lose the wonderful tone that this image has.

Darkness, on the other hand, has the "rim lit" lighting effect but IMHO the whole image is a little Flat. there is not contrast and range of tones. this can be effective however I prefer "posing"

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72122 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 12:27 PM

I would say that the terms 'objective' and 'intention' play a part in the darkness and light when comparing these 2 images.

The 'darkness' image uses light creatively to show the facial features, withthe intention of using darkness to play a large part in the surrounding image.
With your image, 'Posing for a portrait' you have used light to illuminate the whole face, with just the front of the hair being exposed, whilst the rest of the subject's hair melts into the dark background,
was this your intention?
The critique given to use rear lighting on the subjects hair, would have both illuminated the subject's hair, and separated her from the dark background.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.