Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How are these to photos differ in terms of lighting?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Newdevonian
6 Mar 2013 - 12:42 PM

It matters not a jot whether one is better than the other. As long as you like what you do, that is all that matters.

Use my excuse: I am establishing my "style". The fact that the rest of the world can't keep up, is not my problem!

Seriously, listen and learn! Take on board the good ideas and reject the rest. Enjoy your hobby.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Mar 2013 - 12:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TonyCoridan
6 Mar 2013 - 12:48 PM

Quote: It matters not a jot whether one is better than the other. As long as you like what you do, that is all that matters.

Use my excuse: I am establishing my "style". The fact that the rest of the world can't keep up, is not my problem!

Seriously, listen and learn! Take on board the good ideas and reject the rest. Enjoy your hobby.

Thanks!😉

puertouk
puertouk  21055 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 2:21 PM

More work has gone into the first image to get the lighting as the photographer wanted it to come out. No doubt, he also used a light meter to get this image. Send him a message and ask him how he did it. People will be only too pleased to help you improve your photography.

On your image, the girls top is blown out without any detail. You have an amazing camera to do studio work, as well as landscape. A hand held light meter will help you with this type of shot as well. Your camera is getting a reflective meter reading, which is not the best way to get good studio/portrait shots. Your camera has picked up the girls dark skin and the dark background and overexposed the shot, whereas a light meter reading will only read the ambient light in the shot. Also, the catch light in her eyes are very small, which also lets down your image. Are you using studio lights in your shots or just the available light?
If you want to improve your photography, go to the Sekonic website and watch the webinars that are available. It will hopefully improve your photography by leaps and bounds. Joe Brady is very good and hopefully it will help you.
Stephen

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2013 - 10:12 PM

Quote: Your camera is getting a reflective meter reading, which is not the best way to get good studio/portrait shots.

With such a large area of white it would obvious on the histogram if it was blown. And shootingRAW should give you an extra stop of light (with respect to the histogram) to work with to pull the hihglights back. Exposing to the right maximises detail and some photographers deliberately over expose to with the intention of pulling back.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.