Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How Big Is Big?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Merlin_k
    Merlin_k e2 Member 5Merlin_k vcard Netherlands2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2012 - 8:58 PM

I am struggling with an age old problem (well, couple of years old anyway) I am using a EOS40D. Thinking of upgrading and wondering about whether to plump for the 7D or the 5D mark II (can't afford the Mark III, though I wish I could). If you look at my portfolio then you will see the type of photos i take, a lot of more abstract stuff, but I do some equine. Now, the problem is, do I go for full frame sensor. The 7D seems to have so much, and my telephoto is an EF-S lens, but I am wondering how much better the quality will be with the 5D. I like the idea of the shallower DOF, giving me a bit more to play with, and I will want to blow up prints for the framing. From what I have read then a key thing is how big you want your prints to be, smaller prints and the 7D is fine but larger pictures then the 5D is the answer. But no-one says how big is big. If I am going up to A3 and A4 size then will I see the difference? Or are we talking a lot bigger than that to see the difference. Hellish decision to make, and I swing back and forth from day to day. Any gidance appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Apr 2012 - 8:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2012 - 9:28 PM

One point worth Considering is the need for top quality glass with the 5dmk2, It will not except cheap lenses with out showing problems in Quality, Obvously a few go against that rule but a general rule you will need L quality or Comparitable lenses to go with it. It is not forgiving of anything less. So you need to budget for good lenses as well

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014694 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2012 - 9:30 PM

Have you looked into the Olympus OM-D E-M5? You may be very surprised at how it stacks up against camera systems in the catagory you mention. There are a few reviews about, but not many, especially in-depth reviews, because of a lack of camera bodies available right now. It seems Japan dealers are getting preference, and selling out fast. Just for some interesting reading, do a bit of research; you can start here for some general M4/3 information and concerns about switching to the format, and go to TechRadar's site for a review.

Merlin_k
    25 Apr 2012 - 9:43 PM

My 24-105mm lens is the L series, and the 60mm macro is fine, but the telephoto may well be a problem. I have realised that will add to cost.

kevspiers
    kevspiers  867 forum posts
    25 Apr 2012 - 9:55 PM

I had a 30d and with photoshop and a 1/3 of the frame could get perfect A3 prints. I now have a 7D the largest I have printed is 48"x22" again used photoshop to upscale and it came out perfect.

As for 5DII and 7D both will easily give great A3 prints. Have a look at http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_7d_digital_slr/discuss/72157622596911258/ for high iso 7D shots, people say the 5DII has the edge iso wise.

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8506 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    25 Apr 2012 - 10:44 PM

Quote: My 24-105mm lens is the L series, and the 60mm macro is fine, but the telephoto may well be a problem. I have realised that will add to cost.

You can't use the 60mm macro on the 5D ll (assuming it's the canon EF-S)

Last Modified By rogerfry at 25 Apr 2012 - 10:45 PM
    ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2012 - 11:02 PM

I can tell you that Big is big.
    I have a Mercedes sprinter van the largest they do and the sides and back have images of my kitchens we make in my company, these images are around 5' high and 6' wide and taken with the 5d mark ii, they are superb images and there is no degradation of image quality that i can see at that size.
    so if it is size your after and the type of photography you do it would be the 5d mark ii for you. also it is full frame which in my opinion makes a big difference when using it for portraits and landscapes and although i don't take photos you do i imagine this camera to be the ideal camera for you.

Ian

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2012 - 11:11 PM

Quote: Have you looked into the Olympus OM-D E-M5?

got to say i own a canon 5d mark ii a canon 7d with all l lenses ranging from 17mm to 300mm, I also own an olympus pen ep3 and it cost me new 700.00 and i struggle to get to grips with it compared to my wonderful canons which i can fluently change settings in milli seconds.

I find olympus clumsy to use, may be that's just me but to navigate the olympus pen ep3 it is a real pain compared to the very easy canons.

See now the thing with canons is they listen to the photographer and put the buttons and menus in the right places making pro togging so much easier.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2012 - 11:23 PM

Well I had a Canon 5D Mk II + 5 lenses. All gone now. With my Olympus Pen E-PL2 I have probably increased my photography at least 5-fold. And sold some of the photos too.

Can't wait for the OM-D to arrive..... should take my M4/3 experience to a new level. Smile

Merlin_k
    26 Apr 2012 - 8:16 AM

Bother, yes the 60mm is EF-S, of course I can't use it on the 5D. Stupid me. I can see decision being driven more by which lenses I have than anything else!

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Apr 2012 - 8:40 AM

lenses has always been the best way to improve your photography, The problem I see it as is the two cameras you have chose are different beasts and both good at what they do, In some cases i wished id gone down the 7d route purely on reach and shooting moving subjects, but recently moved into video and the 5d fits the bill perfectly as it did with other subjects, In a perfect world I would have Both.

ianrobinson
    26 Apr 2012 - 9:50 AM

Quote: I can see decision being driven more by which lenses I have than anything else!

If this is the case then canon L lenses are the way forward simples.....
    You will hear this time and time again from all the pros in the world, buy the best glass you can, that is the investment not really the box that takes the picture, it is a box that takes the picture that is it's purpose, add a great lens to that box and you have yourself a superb set up.
    You might want to consider this before buying a new camera actually...

Merlin_k
    26 Apr 2012 - 1:21 PM

OK. Thank you all so far. The DOF in your photographs KevSB is wonderful (interestingly, I guess the soldiers move quickly so the 5D focus is coping well despite what some say), and ian your pictures are quite stunning, making me want to go 5D. But, because I can't invest in the additional expense of buying new macro and telephoto lenses then leaning towards the 7D, leaving me money to buy a 10-stop, then gradually replace my lenses with L series (I do love my 24-105 L series) so I can go full frame in the future.

Alternatively, let my daughter have the 40D with the telephoto and I have the 5D with the L series. Hmm, now there's an idea.

The debate continues to rage in my mind.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.