Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How brand dedicated are you?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Woofmix
Woofmix  669 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Aug 2009 - 9:36 PM

If another brand bought out a bigger, better, brighter, bolder, blue, bubblegum camera would you consider switching brands or are you absolutely committed to your current camera brand?
To me a camera is a tool and as long as it does what I want it to do and does it well enough I'm happy but I don't have any brand allegiance, I'd switch if there was reason enough too. The only issue of course is the cost of selling up what you already have & starting over, particularly if you have a good lens collection.
I've met a few togs over the years who are Canon or Nikon or whatever loyal and would never even contemplate a change costs aside.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Aug 2009 - 9:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104522 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2009 - 9:50 PM

I don't care what the badge on the front says as long as it does the job and it's relliable.
I wouldn't consider switching brands because of the huge cost involved for replacing all lenses and accesories, besides, the competing brand might have a better current camera, but who's to say that won't be overtaken by the other manufacturer, in time.

wrinkles
wrinkles e2 Member 5349 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
28 Aug 2009 - 9:52 PM

Use what you trust,and know.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2009 - 9:53 PM

I've always used Minolta because their cameras tended to be a good bit cheaper than C & N but at least as good. I found it very sad when they quit the photographic market. If I ever get a dslr it will be a Sony because of the compatibility issue.

Woofmix
28 Aug 2009 - 9:54 PM

So I gather that means you are brand loyal wrinkles?

Paul

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2009 - 10:12 PM

As Justin has said, Makes no odds what the brand is, So long as it does the job to your satisfaction.

Many people get hung up on the idea that, Something newer, Bigger, Better, Will improve thier output, The manafacturers love these people.....Wink

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2009 - 10:33 PM

I use Canon and have done for 3 plus years now.....Ive spent alot of hard earned on lenses, flashes, and bodies.
But to be honest if I could have a refund for the lot I would buy Nikon now as they seem to have overtaken Canon in the photography I tend to do.
So in answer to your question...Yup...Whatever the brand was I would buy what was the most advanced in features that I require....Not features that I dont!

Woofmix
28 Aug 2009 - 10:34 PM

Do they ever, although I must admit when the Olympus E3 replacement eventually appears and if it's going to be as good as we anticipate I'll be sorely tempted.

Paul

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315563 forum posts England
28 Aug 2009 - 10:52 PM

Looking at my camera shelf, I have ...

8 Canons
2 Lomos
5 Fuji
1 HP
1 Seagull
1 Ensign
1 Ihagee
1 Braun
1 Agfa
1 Yashica
1 Kodak
1 Panasonic

But the only ones I have lenses for are Canon EOS SLRs (5 of them) so I wouldn't switch as I can't afford to Sad

MattGrayson
28 Aug 2009 - 10:57 PM

Working in retail a few years ago I found the only brand loyalty to a commercial manufacturer (ie, not Leica, mamiya, blad etc) was Nikon. To me Nikon users were lifelong users whereas I could talk a Canon or Pentax user to another brand if it suited them better.

scottishphototours

I have used Nikon for 28 years.

I have small hands and can acheive everything on a Nikon with 2 fingers. I found that as a Canon user you need to have 6 digits per hand, 3 hands and arms and these all need to be 50% longer than any normal human should be.

That's why I'm still a Nikon user, and I would never change.

User_Removed
28 Aug 2009 - 10:59 PM

Statistically speaking, the average brand ownership for a Nikon is 25 years. Gulp. I'm past that already.

JohnParminter
28 Aug 2009 - 11:08 PM

Very dedicated for two reasons:
It just happened my first camera purchase was a Nikon, so went down that route with lenses, all Sigma Nikon fit. If it had been another manufacturer then I would be with them.
Secondly, I'm perfectly happy with it's capabilities so don't see a need to change.
I'm not lens brand dedicated though, I will buy whatever fits my price and purpose, just happens to be all Sigma at the minute but could be Nikon, Tamron etc in future.

JP

Woofmix
28 Aug 2009 - 11:10 PM

What do the Nikon users move to after 25 years statistically speaking?

Woofmix
28 Aug 2009 - 11:14 PM

Quote: I'm not lens brand dedicated though, I will buy whatever fits my price and purpose, just happens to be all Sigma at the minute but could be Nikon, Tamron etc in future.

JP

Hmmm, I must admit that I have been lens snobby and have only bought Olympus Zuiko lenses, mainly because they are excellent lenses and perform superbly and are very well made but I'll admit that photo's I have seen taken with Sigma lenses on Oly bodies have also been really impressive & sometimes wonder if my dedication has been a bit biased and extreme Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.