Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

How can I make pasted images not appear to be so obvious.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    studioline
    14 Oct 2010 - 12:06 AM

Hi all. Can any photoshoppers help with this problem. I am having problems trying to make my images look less obvious when they are placed on other backgrounds. If you have a look at my last photo that I put up, you can see that when viewed in larger size, you can see that it has been cut and pasted. All help welcome.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Oct 2010 - 12:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

quickordead
    14 Oct 2010 - 1:44 AM

I find the best way is that when you've made the selection ( keeping really tight to it) of the person or object you want to move, go to SELECTION-MODIFY then CONTRACT, contract by about 3 pixels then FEATHER by 2 pixels. This will ensure you have no old background showing around the model and the feathering softens the edge to set it better into the new background. These figures may change depending on the size of image but always feather 1 less than contract.

Hope this helps.

Lee

DaveU
    DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Oct 2010 - 7:00 AM

It's not just the quality of the selection that counts here, though that is of course most important. You've also got to look at the direction and quality of the light and try to get them matching on the pasted and background images. For what it's worth I create a layer above the pasted image, set it to modify only the layer below via a clipping mask, and set it's layer blend mode to "Multiply". If you then paint onto that layer with a soft brush of low opacity and an appropriate colour then you can effectively paint in additional shading and shadows and sit the pasted image more convincingly into the background. No click fishing here, but if you look in my PF then most of the composites use this technique.

jken
    jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Oct 2010 - 8:03 AM

You could have a look HERE also, i thought this guys advice was pretty good.

jk

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    tommythecat
    15 Oct 2010 - 4:17 PM

I also find that dodging/burning (usually burning) the edges of the pasted object helps blend in to the background layer. This softens the transition in lighting, hides obvious edges and IMO is generally better than feathering as the latter can look too obvious if you lose definition on the edges of your subject.

A bit of gaussian blur on either foreground or background layer sometimes helps to get them to a similar level of sharpness.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    studioline
    19 Oct 2010 - 9:28 PM

Guys thanks so much for the help. This is what makes this site worth every penny!
    Big thanks to everyone and special thanks to Tommy and jken.

collywobles
    20 Oct 2010 - 8:55 AM

Bookmarking so I can redo my last post (Alms Cottages) the paste looks a little to artificial. Thanks guys. Colin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.